GEM S2/S3 and Turbo models

HxC Floppy emulator support for all others Keyboards/Samplers...
Jeff
Site Admin

Re: GEM S2/S3 and Turbo models

Post by Jeff »

marzzz wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:01 am
So is it literally plug-and-play? What about what I am reading above about reversing the cable? Are there any tutorials regarding the installation process?

Thanks!
yes. reversing the cable is just reconnecting the floppy ribbon to the other way.

marzzz

Post by marzzz »

OK, thanks! I’ll also try to reach out to Rob Ocelot for specific installation advice.

marzzz

Post by marzzz »

Jeff wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:56 pm
marzzz wrote:
So is it literally plug-and-play? What about what I am reading above about reversing the cable?
yes. reversing the cable is just reconnecting the floppy ribbon to the other way.
OK, I haven't heard back from Rob, so if you don't mind my asking: Reversing the cable just involves flipping it around 180°; Is there any tab or piece of plastic that needs to be trimmed to do this? I haven't ordered anything yet, and haven't opened up my GEM S3, so any forewarning or instructions would be greatly appreciated.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

marzzz wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:30 am
Jeff wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:56 pm
marzzz wrote:
So is it literally plug-and-play? What about what I am reading above about reversing the cable?
OK, I haven't heard back from Rob, so if you don't mind my asking: Reversing the cable just involves flipping it around 180°;
yes!

marzzz

Post by marzzz »

Ok, then once installed, if I put in a blank SD/USB (depending on which one I decide), the GEM would then be able to format it like any blank disk? I don’t need any additional software or formatting process? Apologies for these basic questions, but I have little experience doing something like this.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

marzzz wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:37 pm
Ok, then once installed, if I put in a blank SD/USB (depending on which one I decide), the GEM would then be able to format it like any blank disk? I don’t need any additional software or formatting process? Apologies for these basic questions, but I have little experience doing something like this.
Really don't know. This depend on the ribbon used into you GEM S3.
marzzz wrote: 2) Are there any other physical settings I need to be concerned about? Something about setting jumpers?
Set the ID0-A (1) switch to ON.
marzzz wrote: 3) I plan on using the GEM S3 solely as a MIDI controller; I will not need to convert any files (only save general system settings from the synth). All I will need is for the GEM S3 to recognize the SD card are a “blank” disk that needs to be formatted. Once the drive is properly installed, will I be able to use it that way directly? Or are there any other steps involving software to make it functional?
Use the available GEM images in the quick install zip archive. You can format them as you want.

https://hxc2001.com/download/floppy_driv ... Images.zip

marzzz

Post by marzzz »

Thank you! These are the kind of details I needed to be informed of; now I can go ahead and order.

marzzz

Post by marzzz »

Well, I seem to be up and running!

Installation wasn't too bad, the scariest part was just properly opening up the keyboard (or maybe, properly closing it!). The old floppy drive came out pretty easily; now here's the strange part- all of this talk about reversing the connector really confused the hell out of me. I decided to just connect the Lotharek in exactly the same orientation as the original floppy drive, and it seemed to work. No error messages or lit LEDs, and when I inserted a SanDisk SDHC 16 GB card, it saw the two .hfe and single .cfg files. It took me a few moments and quite a bit of RTFM, but I was able to format a disk in GEM format, and it now shows up properly in the Disk Utility menu of my GEM S3.

Now to try to save and load files to the floppy emulator, but it seems good to go. Whew....!

I have one of the older "non-Turbo" versions, I wonder if they changed something in the way they connected the floppy drive in the new version?

Mapyx

Post by Mapyx »

Hi!
I purchased the GOTEK (USB) reader for my GEM S2 TURBO.
I finished the hardware installation , now I should copy all my old floppy disks in the usb pendrive.
I remember using COPYQM to copy the floppies (since 1992 :)) , but now I do not know what image format can save. What program do you use?
Thank you

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Mapyx wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:46 am
Hi!
I purchased the GOTEK (USB) reader for my GEM S2 TURBO.
I finished the hardware installation , now I should copy all my old floppy disks in the usb pendrive.
I remember using COPYQM to copy the floppies (since 1992 :)) , but now I do not know what image format can save. What program do you use?
Thank you
Which firmware have you ? (remove the stick and tell me what can you read on the gotek display.)

Mapyx

Post by Mapyx »

hello, thanks for the quick reply, I was not hoping;)
Only 3 zeros appear on the display ... (I feel a little idiot with this answer) :shock:
where do I see the firmware?
Thank you so much :D
Attachments
gotek.jpg
gotek.jpg (247.79 KiB) Viewed 7182 times

Mapyx

Post by Mapyx »

Testing.
I tried to format a USB pendrive in format
FAT
then
I inserted the files in the following archive:
SDHxCFE_GeneralMusic_GEM_S3.zip (Free browsing)
DSKA0000.HFE
DSKA0001.HFE
HXCSDFE.CFG-normal renamed to HXCSDFE.CFG
then
I opened the floppy disks images previously created with COPYQM through the program
HxCFloppyEmulator.exe (Windows)
LOAD IMAGE
it seems that the image is read correctly
then
SAVE / EXPORT
at this point I copy the files obtained 01.hfe; 02, hfe .... in the root of the pendrive
the GEM S2 however says DISK ERROR
where am I wrong?
Attachments
Cattura.JPG
Cattura.JPG (60.14 KiB) Viewed 7180 times

Mapyx

Post by Mapyx »

Update:

Trying using File System Type 1.6MB DSHD FAT12...
still not work :(

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

You don't have the HxC Firmware so the HxC tools and files will not work.
if you want to get the firmware : https://hxc2001.com/store
you need a tll usb serial converter to reprogram the device.

Mapyx

Post by Mapyx »

Firmware:
holding down both keys at startup are displayed in sequence:
U01
F01
Attachments
firmware.jpeg
firmware.jpeg (83.99 KiB) Viewed 7176 times