Can a USB 3.5" drive on a Mac transfer Floppies to SD?

HxC Floppy emulator support for all others Keyboards/Samplers...
ForWerd

Can a USB 3.5" drive on a Mac transfer Floppies to SD?

Post by ForWerd »

Hey guys,

Just posted this in "General Discussion" then realized that not a single post has been replied to in there....kinda creepy!

I need to know if I can transfer existing floppies (using a Mac with an external USB 3.5" drive) to the SD card. I just received 3 Floppy emulators and so far I have a good understanding of the installation process. But once it's all set up, I'll need to transfer my floppy libraries to the SD card, using the HXC floppy emulator software I assume. The reason I ask is because, in the past I've read that USB floppy drives wouldn't work in certain cases not related to HXC, so I don't know if that is the case here.

Thanks

12bitski

Re: Can a USB 3.5" drive on a Mac transfer Floppies to SD?

Post by 12bitski »

I´m a MAC user, too. As I know, you can´t use the HxC with USB floppydrives to dump floppydisks (yet).

I just bought the kryoflux hardware that works via USB on modern machines (MACs and PC s without floppycontrollers) as I have a lot of old AMIGA floppies, that I wanted to convert into images.

You can also dump EMU formated floppys with kryoflux. It works pretty well and fast. You can dump your SP 1200 floppies straight into images. Then you will need to convert them with the HxC software into .hfe files (works on mac and pc).

Works much faster then the method I recomment in this forum. No need to build up split cables and integrate switches. And you don´t need to prepare images before you do the copysession.

BUT you´ll need to spend more money. It´s about 90 english pounds (all needed cables and powersupply for the floppydrive included)
AND you´ll need to have a working floppydrive that you will connect to the kryoflux hardware. (I used my old AKAI S6000 floppydrive, what I guess is a normal PC floppydrive)
Here´s a step by step instruction how to do the dumps with the kryoflux hardware (thanks to jeff for the missing advice)

http://forum.kryoflux.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=590