ASR10R and HxC compatibility

HxC Floppy Emulator Ensoniq Keyboards/Samplers support
eponim

ASR10R and HxC compatibility

Post by eponim »

Good evening Jeff, I'm new to the forum, which is excellent !

I've discovered the HxC this week and it seems to be the thing I was waiting for.

So, I've just few questions before to make my command:

I'd seen the HxC is ASR-10(R) compatible, but I would to know which version to buy, to put it in my sampler. usb /sd ?

In the videos on your website, the most shown that the reader is outside the box (sampler).
I want the HxC in the same place than my actuak Diskette drive, so must I buy the cased one or not? Must I buy some special pc cable in order to run the HxC with my ASR?

Last question: Generally, I make project folders and subfolders in my external Scsi hard drive, in which you can find all the samples and arrangement concerning 1 project.
Is it possible to have this kind of folder classement with the HxC? Make folders and sub folders and go through all or one?

Thanks for your answers.

pulkomandy

Re: ASR10R and HxC compatibility

Post by pulkomandy »

The USB version reads and write files directly to a PC connected to it. The SD version uses an internal SD card, so it is stand-alone and does not need an extra computer nearby.

The HxC emulator is smaller than a floppy drive, so it usually needs some work to replace a floppy drive directly. You need to build a front panel to attach the buttons and LCD screen. You can browse the showroom section of this forum to see some examples. A new version of the HxC is beingworked on, that will allow drop-in replacement of a 3.5" floppy drive (same size, with LCD and buttons on front).

The current cased version will not fit a 3.5" drive bay and is meant for use as an external drive.

The HxC works with floppy image files, each of these represent a floppy that can be inserted/ejected from the drive. You can put these files in folders and navigate them using the buttons and LCD screen. The SD card filesystem is not visible to the keyboard/sampler, only the image contents is.

eponim

Post by eponim »

Thanks a lot for your help pulkomandy, I understand more about the product now!

Do you know when the new version of the HxC will be available ?

And can you tell me if I must buy specifics cable to connect it in the ASR, or all is shipped whith the item?

Peace.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

eponim wrote:Thanks a lot for your help pulkomandy, I understand more about the product now!

Do you know when the new version of the HxC will be available ?

And can you tell me if I must buy specifics cable to connect it in the ASR, or all is shipped whith the item?

Peace.
Just use the ASR cable.

For the new HxC ask the question to Lotharek.

eponim

Post by eponim »

Thanks for your answers Jeff! Hxc is ordered ;)

eponim

Post by eponim »

Hi Jeff,

Hxc's received and it's working fine. But I experienced some conversion issues, let me explain:

I'm running Win7 X64.

I've 2 Scsi HDD connected to my ASR 10 and the HXC in place of the DD. I've some ASR10 3"5 disk and few ensoniq cd than I would to convert and put on the HxC.

Unfortunatly I don't have an internal DD on my PC to use Omniflop/EPSDisk or scsi cd-rom drive connected to my ASR , so I can't read/convert/export the sample/image files.

So, my idea is the following:

1.Load instruments/fx from floppies into the ASR memory
2.Copy/Save them into my scsi hard drive

All is working fine in these step, the issue appears after! Indeed, how can I export/copy my scsi hard drive in the HxC ?

I can copy from a scsi drive to another but, can't find how to copy from scsi drive to floppy. (don't know if it's possibble in fact)

So, can you help me please:

I would to use the Hxc alone with my ASR, I don't want to have to rely on my scsi device anymore ! But I don't want to loose all my previous work/samples/effects.

What can I do guys?

eponim

Post by eponim »

Help please !

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

eponim wrote:Help please !
I don't know the ASR10R, but i suppose that you must copy file by file the content of the hard disk to some floppy images...

Duchemole

Post by Duchemole »

easy
for your asr10 discs, read them directly on your asr10, then copy them on your scsi units (also possible with fx, such as waveboy)
for the cd, you could extract them using chicken sys translator