Using HxC Sd version as a hard drive for all my floppies ?

HxC Floppy Emulator Ensoniq Keyboards/Samplers support
crony

Using HxC Sd version as a hard drive for all my floppies ?

Post by crony »

Hello,

I'm following your threads anxiously... :mrgreen:
I'm very new as I'm just using TS10 Ensoniq, I need to virtualize win 98 (that will be the easiest part I guess...) and backup all my files.
With my TS10, I may have and save presets, sequences, AND load samples from ASR10 / EPS.

I was wondering if I may format the the Sd card to his full size (1 gb for instance ) and then populate it using translator free :
http://www.chickensys.com/downloads/translator_free.php

And then, that's it !
All my samples and sounds will be there...
I've seen that ASR10 are in different format type, so maybe 2 Sd card would be okay (1 for TS10 sounds, the other for the samples from ASR10)

But as I said, I read your discussions, and seems that we are stuck with 1.4 Mo file size...
My question would be, is it hardware related ? Software ? Both ?

An alternative way would be to burn Cd-rom as explained here :
http://www.chickensys.com/kb/eps-asr/034.html

I'm trying to build a SP4, but I'm just starting...Can't find the chip needed at the moment...

So is there's something that can be done ? (booting from HxC with a bigger size than 1.4 Mo ? )
Maybe an alternative way could be to have each floppy individually seted up into HxC ? And then loading as individual floppies ? Maybe this way there could be both sizes of disks, 1.4 Mo for TS10, 1.64 Mo for ASR10 ?

Thanks for your lightning...Sorry for my english as I'm french...

pulkomandy

Re: Using HxC Sd version as a hard drive for all my floppies

Post by pulkomandy »

There is no limit of 1.4MB on the HxC itself. For example on Atari ST it is possible to have 10MB images.

However, this works as a floppy drive emulator, it is not a plain SD card reader. This means :
* Your sampler will still use floppy format to write to the disks. Depending on how it is done, it may or may not accept bigger disks. The Atari ST does, but many others computers and hardware don't.
* It is possible to have multiple floppy images on an SD card, each one with one or more files inside (as a regular floppy). You can mix different floppy formats on the same SD card too.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

crony wrote: My question would be, is it hardware related ? Software ? Both ?
Il s'agit en fait d'une limite liée a la machine cible : Le TS10 s'attend a voir une disquette sur le port floppy et non pas un disque dur.
Maintenant dans certain cas il est possible de faire un petit miracle (voir coté support emulation HDD sur Atari ST), mais cela demande une modification coté machine cible (ajout d'un soft/driver). Cela me semble difficile sur TS10.

Ceci dit il est cependant possible de ce faciliter la vie en gérant correctement les images disques. Que voulez vous faire exactement ?
Au passage je ne vois pas trop le rapport avec Windows 98?
Concernant Translator, cet outil est il capable de générer des images disques ?
So is there's something that can be done ? (booting from HxC with a bigger size than 1.4 Mo ? )
Maybe an alternative way could be to have each floppy individually seted up into HxC ? And then loading as individual floppies ? Maybe this way there could be both sizes of disks, 1.4 Mo for TS10, 1.64 Mo for ASR10 ?
Oui vous pouvez mettre toutes sortes d'images sur une même SD.

crony

Post by crony »

Ha ! un français :)

I'll continue in english to be accessible to more people if you don't mind :)

Translator seems to manage image disks, and seems to run well under Win98, and some other softwares of that kind...That's why I wanted to virtualize win98...
But maybe MidiQuest could handle everything ? (Ensoniq disks, creating images etc...?)

What I want to do is backuping my TS10 and ASR10 floppies, then put them on the Sd card of HxC.
I may also build the SP4, buy a Scsi CDrom, backuping my sounds and samples, and then make 2 cdrom with on the first one my sounds, sequences,(even if I can't save them again...) from TS10, and sample's ASR10.
But I don't know if Scsi SP4 may load sounds or sequences from TS10, or if it just recognize the ASR/EPS format to load samples only...

Does the HxC comes with a software suite running under win7 to manage images from Ensoniq ? Is there a software to extract the native TS/ASR floppies ? I guess I'll have to use Omniflop for that...

Thanks for your help !

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

crony wrote: Does the HxC comes with a software suite running under win7 to manage images from Ensoniq ? Is there a software to extract the native TS/ASR floppies ? I guess I'll have to use Omniflop for that...

Thanks for your help !
Yes of course !

https://hxc2001.com/floppy_drive_emulat ... pyemulator

You can read and save the disk into a floppy disk image with the HxC Floppy Emulator software.

And directly on Win7 ;-)

https://hxc2001.com/floppy_drive_emulat ... Manual.pdf

crony

Post by crony »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: