Trouble converting EDM files to HxC

HxC Floppy Emulator Ensoniq Keyboards/Samplers support
Anthony Flack

Trouble converting EDM files to HxC

Post by Anthony Flack »

So - I bought the floppy emulator to use with my ensoniq mirage sampler keyboard. I have a bunch of EDM files from Mirage-Net, but when I try to convert any of them to hxc format using the hxc software, it says that the file format is unrecognised. It seems to work fine when I tried it with an Amstrad CPC .dsk file though.

Since I can't convert my EDM files for some reason I can't test out the hxc in the keyboard (it boots up nicely, though!). Any idea what might be going on here? Or has anybody got some confirmed working EDM files they could pass on for me to try out (if maybe there's something wrong with mine?)... or Ensoniq disk files already converted to HxC format so I can finally get my Mirage running?

Jeff
Site Admin

Re: Trouble converting EDM files to HxC

Post by Jeff »

Anthony Flack wrote:So - I bought the floppy emulator to use with my ensoniq mirage sampler keyboard. I have a bunch of EDM files from Mirage-Net, but when I try to convert any of them to hxc format using the hxc software, it says that the file format is unrecognised. It seems to work fine when I tried it with an Amstrad CPC .dsk file though.

Since I can't convert my EDM files for some reason I can't test out the hxc in the keyboard (it boots up nicely, though!). Any idea what might be going on here? Or has anybody got some confirmed working EDM files they could pass on for me to try out (if maybe there's something wrong with mine?)... or Ensoniq disk files already converted to HxC format so I can finally get my Mirage running?
Firmware version ?
Software version ?
Jumper setting ?
Floppy cable used ?
Can you post here one EDM file ?

Anthony Flack

Post by Anthony Flack »

Sure thing -

Software version 1.6.8.0 - downloaded today.
One EDM file: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=MQTVBSAO

Firmware/jumper/floppy cable - haven't got that far yet! I'm still trying to convert some disk images to put on the SD card.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Anthony Flack wrote:Sure thing -

Software version 1.6.8.0 - downloaded today.
One EDM file: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=MQTVBSAO

Firmware/jumper/floppy cable - haven't got that far yet! I'm still trying to convert some disk images to put on the SD card.
Can you send me more EDM files ?

EDIT : New software version with the EDM-EDE file support :
https://hxc2001.com/floppy_drive_emulat ... t_beta.zip

Waiting for feedbacks.

Anthony Flack

Post by Anthony Flack »

Wow, that is an excellent fast response! You guys are the best.

The files are converting quite happily now.

However, when I try to boot the Mirage, it is now reporting "UD" (unformatted disk) for all the disk images I try to boot with. The RA signal comes on the HxC when the Mirage tries to read the disk, but the track/sector readout doesn't advance. "UD" is what you would expect to see with a bad disk, or certain disks that don't contain the OS for the Mirage's initial startup sequence, but this is also more or less what the Mirage was reporting with its original disk drive, so now I can't be sure whether there is a problem with the files, or an electronic fault with the Mirage's disk controller. :(

I really need to get in touch with somebody else with a Mirage/HxC combo so I can troubleshoot using a confirmed working MASOS boot image. I hope my keyboard isn't fried!

(firmware version is 1.6.0.0 ; jumper setting is bottom right (Drive A=ID0), ribbon is the original Mirage ribbon, pin1 on the right - these are the same settings as I saw in Youtube videos of the Mirage working with the HxC. I also tried swapping a different ribbon connector, sadly no luck there - also it seems that if things aren't connected properly the Mirage does not attempt to read the disk and does not report "UD").

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Try with these HFE files.
Attachments
Ensoniq_Mirage.zip
(363.41 KiB) Downloaded 629 times

Anthony Flack

Post by Anthony Flack »

Same result: UD

I'm beginning to fear that my Mirage has a problem with its disk controller. SOB

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Anthony Flack wrote:Same result: UD

I'm beginning to fear that my Mirage has a problem with its disk controller. SOB
Why did you think this ? Is your old floppy disk drive working on the Mirage ?

Try to reblace the floppy cable.

Anthony Flack

Post by Anthony Flack »

Well, I figure the HxC is working correctly - it seems to be - and the files you sent ought to work. The old drive hasn't worked for years, but it did the same thing - it accepts the disk, tries to boot it but doesn't really do anything, and comes back with "UD". I figured that the drive was dead, but now I have doubts, like maybe the WD1772 floppy controller IC in the Mirage has failed :/

I will try swapping the cable again though, and anything else I can.

pulkomandy

Post by pulkomandy »

The WD1772 needs some calibration with a capacitor for data separation. Maybe this got off over time and it's not able to read floppies because of that.

I think there is some info on the calibration in the datasheet. Not an easy thing to do...

Anthony Flack

Post by Anthony Flack »

Oh really? I'll look into it.

Does it use a variable capacitor? I recall seeing a couple of electrolytic caps in the vicinity of the WD1772; I know these can lose their capacitance over time, I might try replacing these as well.

pulkomandy

Post by pulkomandy »

sorry... Looking at it again the WD1772 has a digital data separator, so no PLL involved. Unlike the WD1771 which is the one I use.

You'll have to find something else...

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Anthony Flack wrote:Well, I figure the HxC is working correctly - it seems to be - and the files you sent ought to work. The old drive hasn't worked for years, but it did the same thing - it accepts the disk, tries to boot it but doesn't really do anything, and comes back with "UD". I figured that the drive was dead, but now I have doubts, like maybe the WD1772 floppy controller IC in the Mirage has failed :/

I will try swapping the cable again though, and anything else I can.
Make a picture of your jumper setting.

Is the Floppy access led on when the mirage try to read the disk ?
What did you see on the LCD : "RA" or "RB".

Anthony Flack

Post by Anthony Flack »

Jumper position:

000X
000X

The LCD reports RA. The light would come on, yeah.

I tried the jumper in other positions, in which case the Mirage does not try to access the disk.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Anthony Flack wrote:Jumper position:

000X
000X

The LCD reports RA. The light would come on, yeah.

I tried the jumper in other positions, in which case the Mirage does not try to access the disk.
Have you tried to replace the floppy cable ? If not try a new one...