Trouble converting EDM files to HxC

HxC Floppy Emulator Ensoniq Keyboards/Samplers support
Anthony Flack

Re: Trouble converting EDM files to HxC

Post by Anthony Flack »

So... I guess the next step is either going to be: cut the tracer on the mainboard to see if that makes any difference, or try replacing the disk controller chip.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Anthony Flack wrote:So... I guess the next step is either going to be: cut the tracer on the mainboard to see if that makes any difference, or try replacing the disk controller chip.
Can you check the step line ?

Anthony Flack

Post by Anthony Flack »

Pin 20, is it?

Ok, I went through the pins with a multimeter; I don't know what normal results look like... but I assume this isn't right!

Pin 02: 0
Pin 04: 0
Pin 06: 0
Pin 08: +5v
Pin 10: +5v when drive light is off, 0 when light is on
Pin 12: 0
Pin 14: 0
Pin 16: 0
Pin 18: +5v
Pin 20: +5v
Pin 22: +5v
Pin 24: +5v
Pin 26: +5v
Pin 28: +5v
Pin 30: +5v when drive light is off, +3v when light is on
Pin 32: +5v
Pin 34: +5v when drive light is off, 0 when light is on

So if pin 20 is the step control... it seems to be reading +5v all the time. Now I am assuming this isn't right, and I should probably check the pins on the disk controller chip itself to see if it's working.

emTu

Post by emTu »

Hi,

sorry if my answer comes too late, but I am in the process of installing an Hxc in my Mirage that has been for more than 15 years in the attic because of the same problem you describe, my guess :

The U7/SN7406 is dead and not sending the inverted the ready signal to the CPU, so the drive starts spinning but never start reading... Change U7. I changed mine with a 74LS06.

To take a long story short : I bought this gear broken, diagnostic from a repair shop to the seller:
floppy drive not working, unable to find a compatible one. so when booting it always displays 'Ud'.

I tried several drives (supposedly compatible) over the years, no luck.
Finally, before putting the Mirage in the trash, I found a guy making compatible drives, bought one : nothing new.
But now the schematics are available and I decided to give one last chance, measuring the signals around
the FD controller, see above...

Then I had to replace+socket all the RAM ICs some of them were faulty.

I still have some minor memory troubles (cracks and pops on samples) but my Mirage is almost functional.

I hope this will help someone.

emTu

Damian

Post by Damian »

Hi emTu

I have both the Keyboard and the rack and both don't read disks just after I put a disk in it starts spinning and I get UD on the screen, I will try changing the 7406N, also where did you get the schematics?

Damian