Ensoniq ASR-10 and TS-10

HxC Floppy Emulator Ensoniq Keyboards/Samplers support
Western

Ensoniq ASR-10 and TS-10

Post by Western »

Hello Jeff,

I want to buy from lotharek shop 2 FDD EMUALATORs (SD & USB) for my Ensoniq ASR-10 and TS-10 sinth-s. So, I hope, I'll be able to check their functionality soon. Both my Ensoniq-s have additional SCSI interfaces (using AM33C93A chip). Is it real to do a "bridge" between SD and SCSI? Because it's more convenient and fast. The file systems are similar. I can give some schemes for Ensoniq's SCSI interfaces if needed.
I have found one old document about ensoniq disk format (in attachment)

Regards,
Youriy.
DiskFormat.zip
ensoniq disk format
(9.07 KiB) Downloaded 1169 times

Jeff
Site Admin

Re: Ensoniq ASR-10 and TS-10

Post by Jeff »

Western wrote:Hello Jeff,

I want to buy from lotharek shop 2 FDD EMUALATORs (SD & USB) for my Ensoniq ASR-10 and TS-10 sinth-s. So, I hope, I'll be able to check their functionality soon. Both my Ensoniq-s have additional SCSI interfaces (using AM33C93A chip). Is it real to do a "bridge" between SD and SCSI? Because it's more convenient and fast. The file systems are similar. I can give some schemes for Ensoniq's SCSI interfaces if needed.
I have found one old document about ensoniq disk format (in attachment)

Regards,
Youriy.
DiskFormat.zip
The HxC Floppy Emulator is a floppy emulator... There are no point with the SCSI.
The ASR-10 & TS-10 is already supported (but not tested yet).

average_male

Post by average_male »

Hi Wester,

Could you post the TS-10/TS-12 SCSI interface documents here or send it to my email address (given upon request)? I'd be interested in looking at that as I have both a TS-10 and TS-12.

Thanks,
Moe

Western

Post by Western »

average_male wrote:Hi Wester,

Could you post the TS-10/TS-12 SCSI interface documents here or send it to my email address (given upon request)? I'd be interested in looking at that as I have both a TS-10 and TS-12.

Thanks,
Moe
Hi average_male,
I have optional SP-4 SCSI interface for my Ensoniq TS10. And my ASR-10 rack has SP-3 SCSI interface.
Unfortunately, SP-4 has read-only option only, although SP-3 (which a has similar scheme) has both read and write options.
It seems, it is TS10/TS12 firmware limitation for copyright purposes.
I have drawn the scheme of my SP-4 SCSI interface from PCB. I can add photos of both sides of PCB itself, if necessary. Datasheet of AM33C93A SCSI-bus interface controller may be useful too.
For my opinion, it should be a good idea to do SD to SCSI emulator and connect it directly to digital board (i.e. to emulate AM33C93A SCSI-bus interface controller with peripheral devices).
Due the fact that SCSI file system are similar with FDD, it is possible to use FDD images as SCSI subdirectories. Here is an example how to do your own CD from floppies http://www.chickensys.com/kb/eps-asr/034.html

Regards,
Youriy.
SP-4 interface scheme
SP-4 interface scheme
SCSI_SP4.gif (60.35 KiB) Viewed 21577 times

average_male

Post by average_male »

Hi Western,

Thank you so much for posting the schematic. If you get time, it would be great if you could post pictures of the PCB. I never knew that the SP-4 is a read-only board. Also, isn't the SP-3 just for the ASR-10 keyboards?

Thanks,
Moe

Western

Post by Western »

Hi average_male,
I don't know exactly, may be read only limitation for my SP-4 is due to my old OS version of TS10 (v.2.54 ). Although v.3.10 is the last. Do you know where can i get the ROM dump (.bin or .hex file) or buy programmed ROM chips of this version (v.3.10) to upgrade my TS10? There is no hardware difference between SP-3 & SP-4. "Read only" is TS10/12 OS firmware limitation. ASR-10 has no this limitation.
I couldn't upload photos of PCB directly, so I give you links to image hosting
http://img835.imageshack.us/img835/6144/scsi1.jpg
http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/7365/scsi2.jpg

Regards,
Youriy

average_male

Post by average_male »

Hi Western,

I have my TS-10 at v3.1; Do you know how to extract the HEX/BIN from the chip? If it's an easy process I could try to get it from my TS-10. Will the firmware from a TS-12 work for the TS-10? I would rather attempt anything on my TS-12.

There is a shop just down the road from me called TheSoniq http://www.thesoniq.com/PARTS.html which repairs Ensoniq boards (some ex-Ensoniq employee runs the shop), let me send out an email to them and ask them if they have something like this.

Thanks so much for uploading those images. It will make it easier for me to double check my routes as I have 10 AM33C93A in DIP format.

Talk to you later,
Moe

average_male

Post by average_male »

Hi Western,

I gave the shop a call and the tech stated that if you have version 3.0 you can simply buy the 3.1 chip, but anything lower than 3.0 you will need to send in the mother board as it requires some trace cutting. I also asked him what the difference was between veresion 2.x and 3.x, he stated it was for general midi upgrade. I also confrim what you stated about the SP-4, it is in fact a read-only interface and firmware updates will not allow writing.

So here is the pricing break-down:

1) If you want but a OS Chip, cost = $45.00 USD
2) If you want to upgrade from 2.x to 3.x, cost = $70 (labor) + $45.00 (chip) = $115 USD + shipping cost

So, seems its not a simple plug-n-play solution for you, bummer...

Let me know if you'd like me to get any more details.

Hope that helps,
Moe

Western

Post by Western »

Hi average_male,
Many thanks for the info and for taking care. I live very far away from you, so there is a problem with delivery of the motherboard. And it takes a very long time, which is unacceptable.
I'm sure I could do this job by myself. I have enough knowledge and skills for this. It would be nice to know Revised scheme in terms of modification. (I hope it's not top secret :) although I understand that for techies is more profitable to do the job themselves.
In my opinion, v. 3.1 requires ROM chip with more volume than v.2.x, so a new chip and additional address wire requires between MCU and ROM. I'll disassemble my TS10 soon and look schematic of Digital Board. If it were possible to compare my (v.2x) and your (v.3.x) PCB's and find the difference, it would be wonderful. And v.3.1 chip, I would buy. The reason for upgrade my TS10 is not only a new opportunity to General Midi, but the presence of some nasty bugs in version 2.x
I will be grateful for any additional information. In any case, thank you very much.

Regards,
Youriy.

Western

Post by Western »

Hi average_male,
I opened my TS10 and discovered ROM v.3.05 chips instead of 2.54 as stated in the manual. Therefore there is no problem. I will buy chips v.3.10. To avoid offtopic Let's exchange email. And now I do test of the floppy emulators. My email as an attachment.

Regards,
Youriy.
Attachments
my email
my email
mail.gif (319 Bytes) Viewed 21517 times

average_male

Post by average_male »

email sent to your email address.

Western

Post by Western »

Hello Jeff,

I installed USB HxCFloppyEmulator on my Ensoniq TS-10. Using HxCFloppyEmulator software ".ede" disk image loaded succesfully. TS-10 sees this disk normally. But when I'm trying to load files from it, "Disk has been changed" message appears and TS10 returns to Load screen. So I couldn't load any files. May be, there is some hardware incompatibility with the real drive for the "Disk change" signal. I'll try to compare HxCFloppyEmulator signals with real FDD.
Then I checked ".eda" and ".edt" images. FloppyEmulator accepts theese files normally, but TS10 shows "Disk not formatted" message when trying to load them.
Next step I tried to check USB HxCFloppyEmulator with ASR-10. It doesn't work too. I see that ASR-10 tries to load OS (access LED on FloppyEmulator's PCB flashes), but no result. After loading system from SCSI and trying to access Floppy disk "No disk directories" message appears. After that I loaded ASR-10 from its own FDD and then reconnected "hot" FloppyEmulator with the same floppy-image (.eda). "Disk not formatted" message appears when trying to load files (the same picture as on TS-10).
What can I check more to solve this problem?

Regards,
Youriy

Western

Post by Western »

More information.
I checked signals. TS10 own FDD never removes Disk Change "Ready" signal (pin 34) during files loading (4.97 Volts). FloppyEmulator removes shortly this signal signal on each FDD access . So loading aborts and FAT rereads. I temporary cut this wire on PCB (pin 34) and connected it to +5 Volt trough resistor 2k. After this FloppyEmulator with ".ede" images works normally. The only caveat - the signal Disk Change "Ready" must be removed (grounded) before loading a new image , otherwise the TS10 will not reread the FAT.
The same situation observed with ASR-10. I managed to download files from. ede images in the ASR-10 is fine with this in mind. So HxCFloppyEmulator software must be corrected to provide removing Disk Change "Ready" signal once when image change performs.
Other types of images (.eda &.edt - their own formats), may be, emulates with some disk signature errors, because both TS-10 & ASR-10 couldn't read them at all. "Disk not formatted" and "Bad device ID" messages appears.
What can I do more for solving this issue?

Regards,
Youriy
Last edited by Western on Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

pulkomandy

Post by pulkomandy »

Your "disk change" signal is actually a "ready" one. In the raw image importer this is set by using 'shugart mode' instead of 'ibm pc'.

Western

Post by Western »

Hello Jeff,

I already stated, I’ve bought SD and USB HxCFloppyEmulators from Lotharek shop and now I’m testing them on my Ensoniq TS-10 and ASR-10.

First, I tested USB HxCFloppyEmulator and found that EPS floppy images (.ede) emulates normally on both TS-10 & ASR-10. I could see and choose every file in the root, but couldn’t load anyone of them. "Disk has been changed" message appears at attempt to load any file. After this TS10 returns back to Load screen.

I decided to compare “Disk change” signal on pin 34 going from real FDD and from HxCFloppyEmulator . I have found some difference:
- Real FDD gives only ONE “Disk change” pulse on pin 34 from logic “1” to logic “0” and back to “1” (“Ready” condition) at the beginning of the first FDD access (MO) after Floppy disk change. At this moment ensoniq’s OS reads the FAT table from floppy disk and memorizes it. On all further file accesses ensoniq’s OS never rereads FAT until next Disk change.

- HxCFloppyEmulator gives “Disk change” pulses at EACH file load attempt. So, at each file access OS forced to abort loading and reread the FAT. After this system returns back to Load screen.

To avoid this I’ve cut a wire from pin 34. There are pull-up resistors on FDD controller’s bus side, so opened “Disk change” line has passive “1” level. After that HxCFloppyEmulator began work absolutely normally with .ede image filles.
Except the fact that before each new disk image load I must manually give “Disk change” pulse ( “short” pin 34 to the ground). It forces OS to read FAT of the disk.

Is it possible to update software to do the behavior of “Disk change” signal similar to real ensoniq’s FDD?
There are also some issues with other formats (.eda, .edt). But I still check it carefully and only then write.

You do a great job!
Thanks,
Youriy.