Ensoniq EPS with GOTEK USB stick drive

HxC Floppy Emulator Ensoniq Keyboards/Samplers support
ghostarcade

Ensoniq EPS with GOTEK USB stick drive

Post by ghostarcade »

I recently purchased and Ensoniq EPS with Gotek USB Stick already installed.

On first boot the display was 000 with no green light. I opened the keyboard up and the jumper didnt seem to be set correctly, so now I have set only one jumper on S0 and I have a steady green light on boot up and 000.

I formatted a usb key as FAT32 with MBR and copied the EPS249OS.hfe from the QuickInstall_FloppyDiskImages.zip SDHxCFE_Ensoniq_EPS folder. Now when I boot up it says DISK NOT FORMATTED (before the jumper it didnt recognize a disk was inserted at all, so that is promising).

Im wondering if simply copying the HFE file to the USB Key is all I'm supposed to do. I also don't have confidence based on the incorrect jumper setting that anything else was done correctly to setup the Gotek, what steps should be done prior to attempting to boot up off the OS disk?

Thanks!

ghostarcade

Re: Ensoniq EPS with GOTEK USB stick drive

Post by ghostarcade »

Im going to assume for now that the bootloader has been applied, mostly because i dont have the serial cable/windows pc required at the moment.

I found this thread which seems helpful of the steps:

https://hxc2001.com/docs/gotek-floppy-e ... ation.html

My plan for now is to
1. Hold right button on power up to reset any potential settings
2. Update to latest firmware and see what happens (if errors flashing or not)

Copy the new firmware file (*.upd) to a FAT32/FAT16/FAT12 USB flash device.
Insert the USB Stick into the emulator and press both buttons.
Power up the device and keep the buttons pressed during at least 2 seconds.
Wait some seconds... its done !

3. Since mine doesnt have oled/lcd screen (just the three numbers LED i presume).. I think from what I have read, the next step is to just retry copying the proper EPS OS249 HFE file from the quickinstall disk that I previously attempted, yes? And to confirm, all I do is simply copy the HFE file to the USB key that has been formatted as FAT, there is no need to "image" the usb key using the HFE or something like this.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

ghostarcade wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:05 pm
Im going to assume for now that the bootloader has been applied, mostly because i dont have the serial cable/windows pc required at the moment.

I found this thread which seems helpful of the steps:

My plan for now is to
1. Hold right button on power up to reset any potential settings
2. Update to latest firmware and see what happens (if errors flashing or not)

Copy the new firmware file (*.upd) to a FAT32/FAT16/FAT12 USB flash device.
Insert the USB Stick into the emulator and press both buttons.
Power up the device and keep the buttons pressed during at least 2 seconds.
Wait some seconds... its done !

3. Since mine doesnt have oled/lcd screen (just the three numbers LED i presume).. I think from what I have read, the next step is to just retry copying the proper EPS OS249 HFE file from the quickinstall disk that I previously attempted, yes? And to confirm, all I do is simply copy the HFE file to the USB key that has been formatted as FAT, there is no need to "image" the usb key using the HFE or something like this.

Use the "indexed mode" :
https://hxc2001.com/docs/gotek-floppy-e ... modes.html

Troubleshooting:
https://hxc2001.com/docs/gotek-floppy-e ... oting.html

ghostarcade

Post by ghostarcade »

I was able to flash with the firmware
1. copied the .UPD file to the USB
2. inserted the usb, held the two buttons while powering on.
3. the 000 counted to 999 in increments, green led flashing, then it went to 000 and continued to just flash at a normal pace

i think that is a good sign

I will try the indexed mode when i get a chance shortly, thanks for your response!!!

ghostarcade

Post by ghostarcade »

Ok, I tried as such but still getting DISK NOT FORMATTED / PLEASE INSERT DISK

At root of the USB Key is HXCSDFE.CFG from HXCFEUSB_HFE_beta_firmware/Config_Files/Indexed_mode
At root of the USB Key is also DSKA0000.HFE which is the QuickInstall_FloppyDiskImages/SDHxCFE_Ensoniq_EPS/EPS2490s.hfe renamed

Green LED is flashing, 000 on the display.

I also tried with the smaller HXCDFE.CFG from the QuickInstall_FloppyDiskImages/SDHxCFE_Ensoniq_EPS archive, same deal DISK NOT FORMATTED.

What have I overlooked now? I feel like the firmware load process was a successful test of the drive and the key, but I must be missing something else for this final step.

Thanks
Mike

ghostarcade

Post by ghostarcade »

I've been reading other posts, I'm not sure but my gotek doesnt ever display hXc on boot, although the firmware updater seemed to work without error. Just wanted to notify in case that matters.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

ghostarcade wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:32 am
I've been reading other posts, I'm not sure but my gotek doesnt ever display hXc on boot, although the firmware updater seemed to work without error. Just wanted to notify in case that matters.
It does not have the firmware for sure since the server here didn't got any connection from you... :? :?:

ghostarcade

Post by ghostarcade »

I was hoping I could operate under the assumption that since I purchased this EPS with the Gotek USB Stick drive already installed that they flashed it or it came pre-flashed when they bought it, and that doing the firmware update successfully proved that.

I would have to jump through some additional hoops to do the online flashing (find a friend with a windows pc and find that serial cable) so if I can avoid that it would be ideal, but if not I can make it happen.

So I think I have two questions -

my gotek drive does not display hxc when it boots up, does that indicate it does not have the initial firmware on it?

does my previous description of the firmware update indicate that the firmware update was successful? (held two buttons with upd file on key, started up, counter incremented up to 999 and then green light just flashed at a normal rate as it does now'

my rough understanding of the documentation seems to be:
1. online flash with bootloader firmware to allow additional firmware updates (hoping to skip thinking it was already done by previous owner)
2. additional firmware update (my attempt seemed to go ok? i didnt get this error when I tried at least: Error 1 : (blink 1 time and 2 seconds pause cycle) No entry point (->no software flashed)
3. key using indexed mode with renamed files and config file at root (not working)

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

ghostarcade wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:59 pm
my gotek drive does not display hxc when it boots up, does that indicate it does not have the initial firmware on it?
What can you read on the display at power up ? Please tell.

ghostarcade

Post by ghostarcade »

000 is displayed on boot.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

ghostarcade wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:46 pm
000 is displayed on boot.
Then this sound that you need to flash the device. You still have the original firmware.
Please read the procedure :

ghostarcade

Post by ghostarcade »

Ok I'll give it a shot. I tried messing a little bit last night but didnt get the device to detect in the online flashing app. Will continue down that route though.

ghostarcade

Post by ghostarcade »

Got an adafruit cp2104 friend and was able to successfully flash the gotek, then the firmware update looked a lot different and now Im getting the hxc display if starting up with no disk. Indexed mode loads up the OS fine. Now I just need to learn how to do everything else with the synth. Thanks for your patience and assistance!

daveengelke

Post by daveengelke »

Hi,

i have followed the instructions and suggestions on this thread without a positive result. any help appreciated.

I have a Gotek USB. purchased and flashed the HXC firmware. unit boots up with "HXC" on display.
i checked that the drive jumper is set to S0. i have also tried the JA jumper for pin34 drive ready in both on and off modes.

Followed the link downloaded the zip files.

Formatted usb as FAT 32

loaded all HFE files. renamed them to DSKA000X... and loaded the index cfg file.

All firmware load wires are removed.

Unit boots with HXC then displays 000. i can use buttons to increment disk numbers.
display flashes but NO green LED activity and EPS continues to say 'Insert Disk"

also - followed other thread regarding setting up from menu options an set Gotek to EPS (0F) and Generic Schugart (menu 1 (08)) Still no result. EPS does not see the disc.

suggestions????

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Have you used the quick install zip file for the hfe ?