ASR-10 Quick install images - "No disk Directories" error when trying to format an image

HxC Floppy Emulator Ensoniq Keyboards/Samplers support
s_a_p

ASR-10 Quick install images - "No disk Directories" error when trying to format an image

Post by s_a_p »

I found and have used the Ensoniq image utility, and have been able to boot from the image created from that utility. I then grabbed the quick start drive images and copied them to the SD to have blank "floppies" to write samples to. However, when I try to access or format them, I get a "No Disk Directories" error. Any idea what this means?

s_a_p

Re: ASR-10 Quick install images - "No disk Directories" error when trying to format an image

Post by s_a_p »

Thinking it was something wrong with the quick start images, I took the working system disk and copied it 30 times. I then renamed them ASRDSK0-29. Now, when I try to format the disk, it all goes well until I hit "YES" to format the disk, and then the display on my lotharek drive display changes-
It shows the following text:

T:000/080WES0

This is the third lotherek sd drive Ive owned and Ive never seen it display this message while writing to the drive or formatting. I do not hear it click or make any progress, and finally the ASR shows a message of FILE OPERATION ERROR.

Jeff
Site Admin

Re: ASR-10 Quick install images - "No disk Directories" error when trying to format an image

Post by Jeff »

yes this message mean that the emulator doesn't understand the incoming write sector. This is maybe because you are formatting with the wrong density/bitrate. What is the hfe file size ?

s_a_p

Post by s_a_p »

Hi Jeff- Thanks for responding. Ive tried several different file sizes in this. Im using the EnsoniqEFE2HFE utility. Ive only had luck with the ASR1600 batch file and it generates ~4mb hfes. Im able to boot from these, but not able to format or save to them. I also tried the quick start images which were ~3.5mb in windows XP.(I spun up a vm to try a few of the older ensoniq tools) these dont really do much for me at all.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

please share the images, i will check them.

s_a_p

Post by s_a_p »

Jeff wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:48 am
please share the images, i will check them.
Thanks Jeff! Here they are:

https://drive.google.com/drive/u/0/fold ... sdeH99iCkd

This should be public for anyone that has the link. Let me know if you cannot access them.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

DSKA0000.HFE is in PC HD interface mode, which is correct for the ASR10
ASRDSK0.hfe & ASR1600_IMG.hfe are in shugart mode , which is NOT correct.

Try this : Remove the SDCard, press select to enter the menu -> Interface Cfg -> choose the PC HD interface mode. exit the menu and retry.

s_a_p

Post by s_a_p »

Jeff wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:23 pm

Try this : Remove the SDCard, press select to enter the menu -> Interface Cfg -> choose the PC HD interface mode. exit the menu and retry.
I will try this ASAP. Thank you for your help here Jeff! You've helped me several times now- I would gladly donate to a patreon or paypal account for your efforts. do you have one?

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

s_a_p wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:15 am
Jeff wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:23 pm

I will try this ASAP. Thank you for your help here Jeff! You've helped me several times now- I would gladly donate to a patreon or paypal account for your efforts. do you have one?
Thanks. I am in France : I can't legally take money from paypal or patreon without invoicing you.
If you want you can get one (or some) hxc license for gotek : https://hxc2001.com/store