Software to convert Mirage disks

HxC Floppy Emulator Ensoniq Keyboards/Samplers support
Analog_

Software to convert Mirage disks

Post by Analog_ »

Hi there,

I'm fairly new to this HxC world and I'm not a programmer but understand a tiny bit. So sorry if this has been covered before (I've read other posts but couldn't find what I'm after):

I'm about to get a HxC floppy emulator for my Miracge rack sampler and I have 10-15 floppy disks. How would I have to convert them, i.e. what software would I have to use in order to transfer them onto HxC? Once the floppy drive is not there anymore I won't be able to read the disk on my Mirage.

Probably this is a trivial and silly question but I'm trying to figure this out having also other samplers I'd love to upgrade to HxC

Jeff
Site Admin

Re: Software to convert Mirage disks

Post by Jeff »

Have you a pc with an internal floppy drive ?

Analog_

Post by Analog_ »

Hi Jeff,

yes! Also a Mac if needed

Analog_

Post by Analog_ »

Jeff wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:02 pm
Have you a pc with an internal floppy drive ?
Hi Jeff,

any news about the Mirage software (for Mac or PC)?

Best regards

mondo1976

Post by mondo1976 »

If they're custom (homemade) disks, use Omniflop in a PC with an internal floppy drive to read the disks to an image and then convert to HFE with the available HxC software.

If they're stock disks, chances are they've already been converted here: http://r-massive.cellarseer.com/ensoniq ... e-library/
Last edited by mondo1976 on Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

mondo1976 wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:04 pm
If they're custom (homemade) disks, use Omniflop in a PC with an internal floppy drive to read the disks to an image and then convert to HFE with the available HxC software.

If they're stock disks, chances are they're already been converted here: http://r-massive.cellarseer.com/ensoniq ... e-library/
And why not use the dump tool present inside the hxc tool ?

Analog_

Post by Analog_ »

Great, thanks a lot!

mondo1976

Post by mondo1976 »

Jeff wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:44 pm
mondo1976 wrote:

If they're stock disks, chances are they're already been converted here: http://r-massive.cellarseer.com/ensoniq ... e-library/
Honestly, it just doesn't work as well, in my experience. Omniflop works 100% of the time and I can't argue with that success rate. HxC Tool is always warning me I don't have something installed or configured correctly, etc. and I already know Omniflop is going to work perfectly.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

mondo1976 wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:36 pm
Jeff wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:44 pm
mondo1976 wrote:

Honestly, it just doesn't work as well, in my experience. Omniflop works 100% of the time and I can't argue with that success rate. HxC Tool is always warning me I don't have something installed or configured correctly, etc. and I already know Omniflop is going to work perfectly.
I don't find Omniflop so good. If you don't want to use the hxc tool, i always recommend ImageDisk instead that work properly and produce "true" image with a description of the disk format (*.IMD). With this file format, the disk format is not lost and you can just convert the image without asking the disk format to apply. Maybe that now there is a better file format with omniflop ? if not i can't recommend it.
btw it is possible that the omniflop driver broke the standard floppy driver and make the other tool non-working (hxc for example). i remember to have got this issue.

mondo1976

Post by mondo1976 »

Jeff wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:01 pm
btw it is possible that the omniflop driver broke the standard floppy driver and make the other tool non-working (hxc for example). i remember to have got this issue.
This could very well be the case as it does use alternate drivers. Be that as it may, I need floppy images for things other than HxC, so I do not wish to strictly use the HxC software -- therefore, I must use a third-party tool and Omniflop can serve both purposes. ImageDisk may be fine, but personally I do not wish to store headers/footers/descriptions in with a disk rip. I only want the raw data, and besides, anyone messing with a disk rip should really know the target machine (and therefore disk type & format) they are dealing with or else what are they even hoping to achieve?

Just a philosophical/workflow difference, I suppose. I know my method works 100% of the time and I can't say that for other methods, so that's simply what I recommend. Your mileage may vary, as they say.

I guess I should add that I don't work with anything copy-protected or particularly sophisticated, so my needs are more basic than what ImageDisk, KryoFlux, et al do.

P.S. Thank you so much for the new Gotek firmware efforts. What a great update!!! :D