ensoniq asrx cfg. etc. HELP

HxC Floppy Emulator Ensoniq Keyboards/Samplers support
techthai

ensoniq asrx cfg. etc. HELP

Post by techthai »

I recently purchased and installed white rev F into my asrx, Now im lost! I tried using the asr10 cfg. file .. a few tips would be much appreciated..need a little direction .. thanks in advance Thai

Jeff
Site Admin

Re: ensoniq asrx cfg. etc. HELP

Post by Jeff »

techthai wrote:I recently purchased and installed white rev F into my asrx, Now im lost! I tried using the asr10 cfg. file .. a few tips would be much appreciated..need a little direction .. thanks in advance Thai
please post some pictures of your connections and hxc lcd screen.

techthai

Post by techthai »

Everything seems to work except I can't load files even with the ASR 10 configuration file on my SD card
Attachments
received_10154254921877414.jpeg
received_10154254921877414.jpeg (122.28 KiB) Viewed 7861 times
received_10154254921962414.jpeg
received_10154254921962414.jpeg (136.86 KiB) Viewed 7861 times

techthai

Post by techthai »

I also added a wav.file to the SD card , asrx will not read .. maybe I don't have proper files , I'm having trouble finding the information I need.
Attachments
received_10154272771017414.jpeg
received_10154272771017414.jpeg (92.71 KiB) Viewed 7861 times

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

What is the old drive brand/model and jumper setting ?

techthai

Post by techthai »

the old drive is a sony mpf920-1 , I don't see any area for jumpers on old drive. I read on a list its EDA. ( https://hxc2001.com/floppy_drive_emulat ... SSUPPORTED ) from this page under ASR10 (which i believe has the same drive), also on the hxc gallery there is an asrx pro with the drive installed.. I think i need a disk image CFG. file? but I tried asr10 quick cfg. (no luck) and I just have no idea how i must load and save files. I really hope to get it going .. I'm am an electronic tech thats what i do for a career i didnt expect it to be this difficult.

techthai

Post by techthai »

Please help

mondo1976

Post by mondo1976 »

I think a key error is your assumption that ASR10 = ASR-X. The ASR10 uses a proprietary disk type while I believe the ASR-X is readable as a DOS/PC 1.44MB disk.

I believe a cheap and unmodified Gotek could even replace the ASR-X floppy drive. Try using 1.44 MB disk type and Generic PC as the floppy pinout style.

techthai

Post by techthai »

I have a gotek aswell (didn't work ) I'm unsure what you mean by 1.44 disk pin out , I believe I just need proper cfg. File on sd but no idea what I need to do , thank you for your response.

mondo1976

Post by mondo1976 »

Well, think of it this way:

The HxC has a three big things to consider as far as configurations go that are machine specific. Meaning an Atari ST and a Yamaha TX16W, for example, cannot be configured the same way as they are different machines.

1) The pinout of the floppy drive interface. Meaning that most older machines will use the older Shugart standard (or a modified version of it) where there is a ready signal present. A lot of newer (at least in terms of floppy technology, ha ha) machines use the PC standard where there is no ready signal available.

2) The format of the disk. Not only do disks differ in their unformatted types (5 1/4" single-sided, 5 1/4" double-sided, 3 1/2" single-sided, 3 1/2" double-sided, 3 1/2" high-density, etc.) but also each disk type can be formatted with a different layout. As a common example, 3 1/2" double-sided disks are usually called 720K because that's how much they hold when formatted under DOS whereas they also tend to hold 800K when formatted under other machines like the E-mu Emax, etc.

3) DS0 versus DS1. The first or only drive in a PC (drive A:) is forced to DS1 whereas most other devices will expect DS0. While DS0 is a very common setting for devices using HxC (as a lot of them are Shugart derived), I highly suspect the ASR-X expects DS1.

So, you not only need to tell the HxC what drive signals to expect (PC versus Shugart or some variant thereof) but also the disk format layout (720K, 800K, 1.44MB, etc.) Once you figure out what the Ensoniq ASR-X is expecting for both then you should be well on your way to finding or creating the appropriate configuration file and HFE settings.

I could be mistaken, but like I said before, I think the ASR-X was the odd-man-out when it comes to Ensoniq devices because I don't think it used ASR10/TS10/TS12 type disks or drives. I believe it is all PC standard, so... 1.44 MB disk, PC interface (no ready signal), and drive forced to DS1.

If you have a spare 3.5" floppy drive taken from some random PC then toss it into the ASR-X. If it works just like the original floppy drive did then that will tell you exactly what you need to know -- the ASR-X uses the PC standard. And if that's true, then you know everything you need to know about how to configure the HxC.

techthai

Post by techthai »

Thank you very much !! Everything your saying to me makes sense , the asrx is pc/ibm but not any old drive will work , I have two spare floppies neither work , no did my gotek thus I bought this hxc drive, the asrx original drive uses 2s HD disks. At this point not being great with computer type cfg I'm lost on what I need to do . Thanks for any and all help

mondo1976

Post by mondo1976 »

I think it's worth asking if the stock 3.5" drive that originally came with the ASR-X works. It seems to me that something is wrong if you can't get even normal floppy drives to work.

If there's something wrong with the floppy drive or the floppy controller then the HxC won't work either, clearly.