Ensoniq EPS 16 +

HxC Floppy Emulator Ensoniq Keyboards/Samplers support
Jeff
Site Admin

Re: HxC SD Card Emulator on Ensoniq EPS16+

Post by Jeff »

lowcust wrote:
hi jeff

good news, it works. now with shutgart ds0 setting, the ensoniq recognizes all files on disk and load than, also diskchanges now working trouble free. i'm still tests whether funktions like format,copy and save will work.

if it allows your time, it would be cool if the ensoniqs efe. format import would still work, efe. is only for samples like wav. on windows but ede. for complete programs which means samples, effects and songs include configurations.

thank you very much, thomas
Hi,

Can you try some hfe file generated with the actual version of the software :

https://hxc2001.com/floppy_drive_emulat ... r_soft.zip

Thanks.

lowcust

Post by lowcust »

Jeff wrote:
lowcust wrote:
hi jeff

good news, it works. now with shutgart ds0 setting, the ensoniq recognizes all files on disk and load than, also diskchanges now working trouble free. i'm still tests whether funktions like format,copy and save will work.

if it allows your time, it would be cool if the ensoniqs efe. format import would still work, efe. is only for samples like wav. on windows but ede. for complete programs which means samples, effects and songs include configurations.

Hi,

Thanks.
yes this version works at least since the firmware 1.3.0.2b
today i am using the hxcdsfe from the last firmware 1.3.0.0, the HxCFloppyEmulator_soft 1.3.13.0 with settings shutgard ds0.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

lowcust wrote:
Jeff wrote:
lowcust wrote:
hi jeff

Hi,

Thanks.
yes this version works at least since the firmware 1.3.0.2b
today i am using the hxcdsfe from the last firmware 1.3.0.0, the HxCFloppyEmulator_soft 1.3.13.0 with settings shutgard ds0.
ok thanks

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

lowcust wrote: [...]
ps: one please, it would be nice when the efe. format "samples" are supportet.

thanks in advance, best regards
yes this is possible since i got some docs about the internal floppy format of the ensoniq (the tool must generate all FAT and file entry used by the ensoniq to add the efe on this file system).
But i need your help to make several tries during the development since i don't have any ensoniq here.

lowcust

Post by lowcust »

Jeff wrote:

yes this is possible since i got some docs about the internal floppy format of the ensoniq (the tool must generate all FAT and file entry used by the ensoniq to add the efe on this file system).
But i need your help to make several tries during the development since i don't have any ensoniq here.
great to hear this, i will support you as far as i can.
mail me : info@beitegeuze.com

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

lowcust wrote:
Jeff wrote:

ok thanks.
I will begin the devellopment soon ( i am busy with others tasks for the moment.)

lowcust

Post by lowcust »

lowcust wrote:first test with the SDCard HxC Floppy Emulator on my old Ensoniq EPS16+ sampler. works great!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r09ZJPwi3eU
an another video after the fix Installation of the hcx sd floppy emulator in my ensoniq, and with a demosong of my old transwave waveboy floppy images.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bm7avjMSviU[/url]

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

lowcust wrote:
lowcust wrote:first test with the SDCard HxC Floppy Emulator on my old Ensoniq EPS16+ sampler. works great!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r09ZJPwi3eU
an another video after the fix Installation of the hcx sd floppy emulator in my ensoniq, and with a demosong of my old transwave waveboy floppy images.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bm7avjMSviU[/url]
Very nice mod ! :D

lowcust

Post by lowcust »

Jeff wrote:
lowcust wrote:
Jeff wrote: yes this is possible since i got some docs about the internal floppy format of the ensoniq (the tool must generate all FAT and file entry used by the ensoniq to add the efe on this file system).
ok thanks.
I will begin the devellopment soon ( i am busy with others tasks for the moment.)
hi jeff

there are any news on .efe format support for ensoniq eps ?

thanks best regards, thomas

jeffe

Re: Ensoniq EPS 16 +

Post by jeffe »

Howdy
Thanks to this thread, I was able to install the HxC emulator in my Ensoniq EPS classic. I made a rough video of the install process:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yM2o0W5Y0pI

This thread was very helpful and inspiring. This part especially, regarding transferring images, was very helpful:
For example with ensoniqOS.img (819200 bytes) use these parameters :

Sector per track = 10
Sector ID start = 0
GAP3 lenght = 40
Thank you.
Just wanted to share that it DOES work in an EPS classic, and the above video might help you along the way.

-J

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

jeffe wrote:Howdy
Thanks to this thread, I was able to install the HxC emulator in my Ensoniq EPS classic. I made a rough video of the install process:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yM2o0W5Y0pI

This thread was very helpful and inspiring. This part especially, regarding transferring images, was very helpful:
For example with ensoniqOS.img (819200 bytes) use these parameters :

Sector per track = 10
Sector ID start = 0
GAP3 lenght = 40
Thank you.
Just wanted to share that it DOES work in an EPS classic, and the above video might help you along the way.

-J

Thanks for the video !
I have already updated the "show room" page with your video included ;-)

https://hxc2001.com/floppy_drive_emulat ... index.html

jeffe

Post by jeffe »

Thanks again.

I was able to make the eps auto-load the os disk.

Copy the OS / boot image and rename it to AUTOBOOT.hfe.
Configure the emulator to run in Auto-boot mode.
Place AUTOBOOT.hfe in the root folder.

The only problem is that once booted, the emulator does not want to 'eject' the auto-boot image very easily. I had to hold down the middle button for a few seconds, then the emulator returned to normal, asked me which drive I wanted, etc.

Still, it is nice to not have to load the OS every time. I just flip the sampler on, and once it loads the system, it is ready to go.

Maybe this is a bit of a hack, because AUTOBOOT.hfe is meant for something else? It might be nice to be able to configure the emulator to always load a certain image other than AUTOBOOT.hfe at boot up, and not get 'locked' in, like I experienced.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

jeffe wrote:Thanks again.

The only problem is that once booted, the emulator does not want to 'eject' the auto-boot image very easily. I had to hold down the middle button for a few seconds, then the emulator returned to normal, asked me which drive I wanted, etc.

Still, it is nice to not have to load the OS every time. I just flip the sampler on, and once it loads the system, it is ready to go.

Maybe this is a bit of a hack, because AUTOBOOT.hfe is meant for something else? It might be nice to be able to configure the emulator to always load a certain image other than AUTOBOOT.hfe at boot up, and not get 'locked' in, like I experienced.
Yes AUTOBOOT.HFE isn't supposed to be used like this. I will add a new power up mode.

lowcust

Post by lowcust »

Jeff wrote:
jeffe wrote:Thanks again.

Yes AUTOBOOT.HFE isn't supposed to be used like this. I will add a new power up mode.
hi

thats great news. now would be only a support of .efe and .efa files and everything would be perfect.

best regards

ps:I will make nearly a photostory about my installation and display extension of the hxc in my eps16 +

jeffe

Post by jeffe »

Jeff wrote:Yes AUTOBOOT.HFE isn't supposed to be used like this. I will add a new power up mode.
That would be great to have a user-definable boot up / autoload file. It would just need to load the image like normal, but on boot.
lowcust wrote:ps:I will make nearly a photostory about my installation and display extension of the hxc in my eps16 +
Really looking forward to this! Your mod is excellent, and I'm very curious what you did to move the screen so far away, and how you mounted it in an old floppy drive.

Now just rambling...
I think support for EFE files would be a bit tougher, because it's not really part of the disk image. Are there any utilities that can create an EDE disk image file from some EFE audio files? Is that all that is really needed? It's crazy to think, if we could go WAV -> EFE, and EFE->EDE, and EDE->HFE image...but again, an HFE image could be one or a collection of EFE files, right?

I am not familiar with EFE sound files at all, but I am thankful for the native EDE support. Thanks again.