Ensoniq ASR-10 5100KB image file

HxC Floppy Emulator Ensoniq Keyboards/Samplers support
another_SD1

Ensoniq ASR-10 5100KB image file

Post by another_SD1 »

Hi,
I did some updates to the standard Ensoniq_EFE2HFE tool provided by Jeff.
The big idea is to be able to create IMG/HFE images of 5100KB.
Here is the direct link to the tool.
Use it at your own risk, I take no responsibility for any damage it might create. However my intentions are good.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xtolebmfmyco0 ... 2.zip?dl=0

The big idea was a dirty modification of the epslin source code in order to make it able to format correctly an image with a non-standard size (820KB, 1640KB, 5100KB etc). You can find the new eps_lin_lu2.exe and the source code eps_lin_lu2.c inside the archive above.

Possible list of F.A.Q. :
Q: What is exactly the difference between the original Ensoniq_EFE2HFE and this one?
A: Both are included. The original was creating one image file for each efe file, for EPS format (800KB). This new one has an option to do the same for ASR format (1600KB - see convert_efe_to_hfeASR10.bat). And there are new scripts Efe2HfeEps or Efe2HfeAsr which put all the efe inside a SINGLE image, together with the operating system file. If none of these efe files are present, then it will create a blank image file of a non-standard size like 5100KB which can be used by another tool like EnsoniqFS plugin in Total Commander.

Q: How do I use it?
A: See the README.TXT files in the archive.

Q: It creates successfully hfe images for EPS-800KB or ASR-1600KB. But for EPS-2550KB or ASR-5100KB it creates only the image files. Why?
A: The command line tool hxcfe.exe (actually libhxcfe.dll) doesn't have built in these 2 new XML file Disk Layouts: ENSONIQ_DD_2550KB and ENSONIQ_HD_5100KB . Also I wasn't able to recompile this dll with these new formats, although the source code is available. You can convert these images to hfe by using the graphical HxCFloppyEmulator.exe with the XML file Disk Layouts (xml files) from the archive. See README.TXT for details in the archive.
The same for 820KB or 1640KB.

Q: How comes the jump from 1600KB to 5100KB?
A: The standard ASR-10 format is of 80 tracks, which corresponds to 1600KB. But you might have noticed that the old EPSDISK tool can format to 82 tracks (1640KB for ASR-10 and 820KB for EPS). I believe the author tried maximum 82 because the real floppy disk wouldn't be reliable with more than that. Since the SD HxC floppy emulator supports maximum 255 tracks, I gave a try and it worked.

Q: Does this work for EPS/EPS-16 too?
A: I don't know. I remember I've read somewhere that the original EPS can't handle more than 80 tracks. EPS-16 should work, but 2550KB instead of 5100KB . If you get any success with it, you can post here the result, it might be helpful for others.

Q: Why EPS-16 would support an image of maximum 2550KB?
A: The EPS-16 has double-density format, meaning that it supports maximum 10 sectors per track. The same with VFX/SD1. But ASR-10 supports high-density format, meaning 20 sectors per track.

Q: Why would I need 5100KB instead of 1600KB?
A: In this way I can have 3 times less number of hfe disk images in the SD HxC floppy emulator. I have the slim SD HxC version, it's very annoying to have only one button for advance to the next image.

Q: How could I trust the eps_lin_lu2.exe you provide?
A: If you don't trust, you can check the source eps_lin_lu2.c and compile it by yourself.

Q: The changes you did in eps_lin_lu2.c are really a mess, comparing to the original epslin.
A: That's true. I didn't succeed in installing properly the cygwin gcc compiler, so I preferred to do quick and dirty changes to make it compilable with mingw32.

Q: Does eps_lin_lu2.exe has the same functionalities like the original epslin?
A: No, meaning it can't handle real floppy drives/disks due to the quick and dirty changes mentioned above. The purpose was to make it handle images of non-standard size.

Also thumb rule for Ensoniq ASR-10. In HXCSDFE.CFG the hfe file interface mode must be set to IBM PC 1.44MB (not auto, not generic shugart).
Or IBM PC 720kB if you use pre-made EPS disk images.

calcaarmario

Re: Ensoniq ASR-10 5100KB image file

Post by calcaarmario »

This is awesome, I tested the ASR-10 5100KB image file and it works like a charm.
Good job!!! :D

another_SD1

Post by another_SD1 »

Hi! Thanks for feedback.
I will add 2 lines:

- don't format the image within ASR-10, because it will make it standard 1600KB. You can create a blank pre-formatted image if the folders INPUT_EFE and OS_EFE are empty.

- it might be useful to set a different disk label for each image. You can do that by setting ENSONIQIMGNAME inside the Efe2Hfe batch file.

another_SD1

Post by another_SD1 »

I discovered that Translator Free from Chicken System modifies correctly already created 5100KB images.
It doesn't allow to drag a directory structure inside the image, but at least you can create directories inside the image and then drag efe files.
It might be convenient because it has a windows_explorer-like graphical interface.

The images still must be created with Ensoniq_EFE2HFEv2 , blank images or images only with OS for e.g.

ghostinthemachine

Post by ghostinthemachine »

Hi,

i have problems using the eps image files. i want to make a blank images of a size of 2550 kb with the os. it worked fine, then i converted the image to a hfe file and copied it to the usb stick, but the eps says bad disk.

Did this work for you?

another_SD1

Post by another_SD1 »

Did you try with an original eps?
See also the question above "Q: Does this work for EPS/EPS-16 too?".
For Ensoniq EPS, ensure that in HXCSDFE.CFG the hfe file interface mode is set to IBM PC 720kB (not auto, not generic shugart).

I have only ASR10 and it works.
I don't know about EPS and you are the first I know who tests with EPS.

ghostinthemachine

can you tell me how to make the HXCSDFE.cfg file? i cant find information about this topic...

another_SD1

Post by another_SD1 »

In HxC_Floppy_Emulator_Software press the button SD HxC Floppy Emulator Settings.
Make a backup of your existing cfg, then Load your cfg , change only the hfe file interface mode then save the cfg.

ghostinthemachine

tried it with the standard images and they work without problems. so it is the image which makes problems...

ghostinthemachine

Is there any setting which can speed up saving and loading from the floppy emulator?

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

ghostinthemachine wrote:Is there any setting which can speed up saving and loading from the floppy emulator?
This is a floppy drive, so no...

another_SD1

Post by another_SD1 »

ghostinthemachine,
try the attached images from EPS16HFE_empty.ZIP and tell me which work.
Attachments
EPS16HFE_empty.ZIP
Ensoniq EPS HFE empty images
(121.42 KiB) Downloaded 555 times

another_SD1

Post by another_SD1 »

try also the images from EPS16HFE_OS.ZIP and tell me which work
Attachments
EPS16HFE_OS.ZIP
Ensoniq EPS-16 images with OS
(219.75 KiB) Downloaded 546 times

ghostinthemachine

Downloaded, will try and report back...

ghostinthemachine

they dont work, the eps says disk has changed and i cant save...

if i try to boot from the 2550 images it gets an file operation error, same as with my 2550 images....

looks like i have to stick to the standard images.