Mirage image problem

HxC Floppy Emulator Ensoniq Keyboards/Samplers support
Debob

Mirage image problem

Post by Debob »

Hello there,

I have a working Mirage with Lotharek unit. I purchased an alternative OS called Soundprocess and got an image in .edm Giebler format, but I cant't get it to work.
HxC software doesn't recognize it as an image. I tried to import it as a raw image but no avail.
Any thoughts?

Thanks for this great forum and the excellent job on the HxC software.

mondo1976

Re: Mirage image problem

Post by mondo1976 »

I'd write the EDM to a floppy using Giebler utility and then rip the floppy with Omniflop. Load the RAW image into HxC and convert to HFE. That should definitely work.

I'm willing to convert it over for you, if you want.

Debob

Post by Debob »

Thanks for the advice, it took a while but I've set up an old computer for this and ripping my old disks but I can't get it to work with the Giebler utility.
So I'd be happy with your help to convert it for me, thanks.
Since it is copyrighted software I don't want to attach the image here, how can I get in touch with you?

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

mondo1976 wrote:I'd write the EDM to a floppy using Giebler utility and then rip the floppy with Omniflop. Load the RAW image into HxC and convert to HFE. That should definitely work.

I'm willing to convert it over for you, if you want.
Why use omniflop when you can do it directly dump the disk with the hxc software ?

Debob

Post by Debob »

It didn't work with the HxC software, I think because of the Giebler format.

edit: I understand what you mean by now, you're right I guess after writing it to a disk you can convert it right away with HxC.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Debob wrote:It didn't work with the HxC software, I think because of the Giebler format.

edit: I understand what you mean by now, you're right I guess after writing it to a disk you can convert it right away with HxC.
The HxC software don't care about the format. If the sectors are in ISO MFM/FM, this is fine. This is the case with most system.

If omniflop can read a disk, the hxc software can too ;). And the hxc software keep the disk geometry, sector numbering etc etc...

The only exceptions are : Arburg disks, Emu Emulators/SP1200 and Amiga disks which use a completely different sector formats. a PC FDC isn't able to read/decode them. In this case you have to use a custom FDC interface to read them.

Debob

Post by Debob »

Still haven't worked it out yet. After a while of trying to make it work I gave up, but I ordered the physical disk.
I did the floppy disk dump and did an export to .hfe, but I can't get it to work either.
With the Mirage I get RA T:001/080 and UD (unknown disk).
Any thoughts?

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Share the HFE image.

Debob

Post by Debob »

Hmmm, I try to upload but I get the message "The extension hfe is not allowed".
Is it possible to email you Jeff?

mondo1976

Post by mondo1976 »

Debob wrote:Hmmm, I try to upload but I get the message "The extension hfe is not allowed".
I'm pretty sure the forum allows ZIP or RAR, but you could always post Dropbox or Google Drive link. You must have a Google account, right?? My Mirage is working well, so I can see if I can get it booted.

If you ZIP the Giebler image then that should be small enough for this forum, and I can check that too.

Debob

Post by Debob »

Thanks for the tip and for the help mondo1976, I had to fiddle around abit but I found a format that fits here.

mondo1976

Post by mondo1976 »

I'll try to test that in the next 12 hours and see where it gets me.

Edit: I had no success with that image either. I can attempt the Giebler thing if you want to send it to mondomailer1976@gmail.com

Debob

Post by Debob »

I just mailed you mondo1976, wonder if this project gets anywhere.

mondo1976

Post by mondo1976 »

On the case. I'll report back shortly.

I did notice that the IMG file was 800k when it should be 440K as the Mirage format is only single sided. Did you let Omniflop auto-detect the format? Or did you use another utility?

Edit: Got it working. Will send you the HFE via email.

P.S. EDM format needs to die, ha ha.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

mondo1976 wrote: P.S. EDM format needs to die, ha ha.
In fact a lot of "format" need to die ;).