ASR-X and the HxC Floppy Drive Emulator

HxC Floppy Emulator Ensoniq Keyboards/Samplers support
ASRXer_Jabberz

ASR-X and the HxC Floppy Drive Emulator

Post by ASRXer_Jabberz »

Hi folks,

First time poster here. I am interested in buying an HxC drive for my Black ASR-X. I was wondering if some users with experience on this particular setup can answer some questions?

1) Do these 2 play nicely with one another? I read on the HxC compatibility that it "Should" work, but no actual confirmation, yet.

2) Is the HxC a SCSI device that can be plugged from the ASR's scsi port?

3) How are loading and saving times from the HxC? Whats the largest capacity of SD drive that it can take?

Any help on this will be appreciated!

Jabberz

Jeff
Site Admin

Re: ASR-X and the HxC Floppy Drive Emulator

Post by Jeff »

ASRXer_Jabberz wrote:Hi folks,

First time poster here. I am interested in buying an HxC drive for my Black ASR-X. I was wondering if some users with experience on this particular setup can answer some questions?

1) Do these 2 play nicely with one another? I read on the HxC compatibility that it "Should" work, but no actual confirmation, yet.
yes.
ASRXer_Jabberz wrote: 2) Is the HxC a SCSI device that can be plugged from the ASR's scsi port?
No, this is a floppy emulator. It use the floppy ribbon.
ASRXer_Jabberz wrote: 3) How are loading and saving times from the HxC? Whats the largest capacity of SD drive that it can take?
This is a floppy emulator so the same speed as floppy drive. Capacity of the SD : Up to 32GB.

But : This a floppy emulator, not an hard drive ;)

ASRXer_Jabberz

Post by ASRXer_Jabberz »

Thanks Jeff!

I went and bought the Rev F HxC for my ASR. I went and updated the firmware to 1_8_2_40, and as soon the updater finished. I get an SRAM Test Failed dialog. Is this normal? I read about this error appearing for older rev C drives, but not on a rev F. Can you help?

Also, which HXCSDFE.CFG should I be using? I noticed there are different files all named the same in separate folders.

The SD Card Im using is a SanDisk Ultra SDHC 1 8 GB.
My emulator hardware version is Rev F 020212. Does this have the SRAM installed already?

Jabberz

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

ASRXer_Jabberz wrote:Thanks Jeff!

I went and bought the Rev F HxC for my ASR. I went and updated the firmware to 1_8_2_40, and as soon the updater finished. I get an SRAM Test Failed dialog. Is this normal? I read about this error appearing for older rev C drives, but not on a rev F. Can you help?

Also, which HXCSDFE.CFG should I be using? I noticed there are different files all named the same in separate folders.

The SD Card Im using is a SanDisk Ultra SDHC 1 8 GB.
My emulator hardware version is Rev F 020212. Does this have the SRAM installed already?

Jabberz
This SRAM test error is not normal, the SRAM chip is present into the rev F.
Which voltage are you using to power the emulator ?

ASRXer_Jabberz

Post by ASRXer_Jabberz »

Im using the existing power cable that was used for the floppy drive.

Also, I am on 120V US power.

I down rev'd to 1_7_2_0 and Im no longer getting the SRAM error.

Is there a particular jumper setting I need to set it to?

Jabberz

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

ASRXer_Jabberz wrote:Im using the existing power cable that was used for the floppy drive.

Also, I am on 120V US power.

I down rev'd to 1_7_2_0 and Im no longer getting the SRAM error.

Is there a particular jumper setting I need to set it to?

Jabberz
You got the emulator with the 1.7.2.0 ?
When did you got the emulator ?

ASRXer_Jabberz

Post by ASRXer_Jabberz »

the drive was brand new with 1_8_2_40 installed.

I was trying to format my SD card and it wasn't able to, so that's when I decided to down rev to 1_7_2_0 and see if I can format. No luck. When I upgraded back to 1_8_2_40, that's when the SRAM Test fail dialog appeared. After down rev to 1.7.2.0, Im able to save and load. I'd like to use 1_8_2_40 without the sram error appearing. Is this a defective unit?

Is there an easy solution to do a bulk format of hfe files? It almost seems more efficient using zip disks at this point since every hfe file needs to be formatted. Please help me understand this crazy cool device, and if there's a better workflow thatll keep me away from my scsi zip drive, let me know.

Thanks

Jeff

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

ASRXer_Jabberz wrote: Is there an easy solution to do a bulk format of hfe files? It almost seems more efficient using zip disks at this point since every hfe file needs to be formatted. Please help me understand this crazy cool device, and if there's a better workflow thatll keep me away from my scsi zip drive, let me know.
you have just to have one formated HFE file. Then just copy/past it with a pc/mac to duplicate it. I think that i have some preformated HFE for the ASR-X.

Did you still have this SRAM error message ?