Image file needed for Ensoniq ZR-76

HxC Floppy Emulator Ensoniq Keyboards/Samplers support
rogerchristmas

Image file needed for Ensoniq ZR-76

Post by rogerchristmas »

I purchased your HxC Floppy drive emulator SD type 'f' for the Ensoniq TS10 and a ZR-76. The TS10 installed without issue and runs great thanks to Jeff's ready-made synth keyboard image files that I simply dragged onto the card.

Now I am looking for a way to get the Ensoniq ZR-76 up and running. How can this be achieved? I have the 32 bit Omniflop program running on an old XP computer to read non-dos disks. Do I just need to format a blank ZR-76 diskette and get it read by Omniflop then drag and drop the 'image' onto the HxC emulator software??? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Jeff
Site Admin

Re: Image file needed for Ensoniq ZR-76

Post by Jeff »

For a first try please use the HxC software to dump a floppy disk and send me the HFE file : omniflop files doesn't tell which disk geometry is used.

rogerchristmas

Post by rogerchristmas »

Thank you Jeff, the dumped file has been sent to your email address at this link: https://hxc2001.com/contactus/

regards

Roger

rogerchristmas

Post by rogerchristmas »

Hi ,

I am pleased to report that I have been successful in getting the Ensoniq ZR-76 disk image file to work after reading an earlier post regarding a 'Disk has been changed' error that the user was getting in his Ensoniq TS-10 - which plagued me in both my TS and ZR. As suggested in the post I changed the SD card's auto setting to IBM 1.44mb instead for the HD disk and resaved the CFG file. But that wasn't enough as I was getting disk write errors. I then resaved the earlier HFE files back into the HxC software again with the new SD setting and all is well. Not sure why the SD card settings would effect the image though? I was also more successful with ZR disks that had some sequencer data on it rather than a pure blank disk - not sure why. I was then able to reformat the virtual disk inside the ZR so it's clean. Strangely reverting back to the former CFG file that Jeff supplied, the ZR still works. Also when I load in Jeff's CFG file into HxC both his and my interface modes are set to auto? Anyway I can make the file available to anyone who needs it.

Incidentally the ZR-76 disk is a DOS format according to the manual so the user can drag the midi comps into the PC for further work, but I was unable to get the PC to read the disk. I assume this DOS format was only compatible for older PCs maybe - pre xp perhaps?? Even formatting at the DOS prompt before XP loads was unreadable by the ZR. The ZR-76 was released in 1998 I think, just before Ensoniq went out of business.

- Roger

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

rogerchristmas wrote:Strangely reverting back to the former CFG file that Jeff supplied, the ZR still works. Also when I load in Jeff's CFG file into HxC both his and my interface modes are set to auto? Anyway I can make the file available to anyone who needs it.
The interface setting is in the HFE file.

Yes please make the file available, with pictures and video if possible :wink:
rogerchristmas wrote: Incidentally the ZR-76 disk is a DOS format according to the manual so the user can drag the midi comps into the PC for further work, but I was unable to get the PC to read the disk. I assume this DOS format was only compatible for older PCs maybe - pre xp perhaps?? Even formatting at the DOS prompt before XP loads was unreadable by the ZR.
Have you tried the DOS Browser function of the HxC software?

rogerchristmas

Post by rogerchristmas »

Hi Jeff,
Have you tried the DOS Browser function of the HxC software?
Yes, and it worked well thx! I was able to recreate a disk loaded with sounds and sequences, then export to hfe format.

I have uploaded a Youtube video, some pics, and the Ensoniq ZR-76 disk image I made to your email address for placing in the showroom section.

Note that I tested your disk image in folder 'SDHxCFE_PC_1.44MB' of the collection and it works fine as well. Now users know the HxC definitely works with the ZR. Thanks for your assistance.

http://youtu.be/MSW04JgM6Bo

- Roger
Attachments
ensoniq ZR76 with HxC SD3 (Medium).jpg
ensoniq ZR76 with HxC SD3 (Medium).jpg (161 KiB) Viewed 5486 times
ensoniq ZR76 with HxC SD1 (Medium).jpg
ensoniq ZR76 with HxC SD1 (Medium).jpg (160.38 KiB) Viewed 5486 times