Import a .wav file to one of my HFE image

HxC Floppy Emulator Ensoniq Keyboards/Samplers support
Ensoniq-ASR

Import a .wav file to one of my HFE image

Post by Ensoniq-ASR »

Hello,

I'm still trying to bring some sounds into my ASR-10 but with another approach since the previous one wasn't really successful :oops:
- I've a .wav file on my PC
- I use the translator (chicken system) to convert my file to an .EFA (ensoniq) file
- Then I try to drag and drop this file on my mounted .HFE image (previously successfuly formatted on the ASR-10, so the image should be 100% valid)
- I end up with the error message Load error ! read file error :?

I've also tested to format a floppy disk on my computer using omniflop (and the 1640k Ensoniq format) ...
- Then I copy using the translator my wav files to this physical floppy
- I use the disk dump / read to logically dump this ensoniq disk
- I export it to an .HFE
- And unfortunately the ASR-10 returns the error message : disk not formatted :?

Do someone was already able to run such a process ???

Thanks in advance

Jeff
Site Admin

Re: Import a .wav file to one of my HFE image

Post by Jeff »

The right question is : is there a tool/software able to do this with a real floppy disk ?
I don't have the answer. Some ensoniq guru on other forum may have it ?

Ensoniq-ASR

Post by Ensoniq-ASR »

I understand the concern Jeff ... Sorry ... but I only have one single floppy I can test with :oops:

More than the file transfer itself, if I format my floppy for the ASR-10 using omniflop, logically if I dump and export this floppy it should be readable by the ASR-10 and not return "disk not formatted".

I'm probably missing something, but I don't understand how I can copy something to a loaded HFE file (I can read this file on my ASR-10)... logically the VFD tool should be able to open it but the ASR-10 disk format seems not to be supported ... or on the other hand dump/export a physical floppy disk in order to be able to read it on the ASR-10

Was someone already able to do something like that ??? :oops:

Thanks in advance

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Ensoniq-ASR wrote: More than the file transfer itself, if I format my floppy for the ASR-10 using omniflop, logically if I dump and export this floppy it should be readable by the ASR-10 and not return "disk not formatted".
No. omniflop only do a RAW read/write : it doesn't create the ASR file system needed by the keyboard. That's why you got this error.
Ensoniq-ASR wrote: I'm probably missing something, but I don't understand how I can copy something to a loaded HFE file (I can read this file on my ASR-10)...
a specialized software is needed.
i have see a Ensoniq FS file system somewhere, but i need to find some time to add the ASR FS support into the HxC software.
Ensoniq-ASR wrote: logically the VFD tool should be able to open it but the ASR-10 disk format seems not to be supported ... or on the other hand dump/export a physical floppy disk in order to be able to read it on the ASR-10
Not possible with VFD : VFD only mount the HFE file like a floppy disk drive. The problem is that the ASR HFE don't use the FAT/MS DOS disk format. Windows is not able to read this kind of disks.

But i think/hope that there are some software able to do what you want with a true floppy disk ? If yes it is maybe possible to modified it to add the HFE support instead of the floppy disk drive.

Ensoniq-ASR

Post by Ensoniq-ASR »

Thank you Jeff,

I'll continue my investigation and hopefully I'll find someone using an ASR-10 with the HxC floppy emulator ... who will maybe have some tips to share :)

In terms of filesystem, could it help if I send you a HFE file directly formatted in my ASR-10 ???

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Ensoniq-ASR wrote:Thank you Jeff,

I'll continue my investigation and hopefully I'll find someone using an ASR-10 with the HxC floppy emulator ... who will maybe have some tips to share :)

In terms of filesystem, could it help if I send you a HFE file directly formatted in my ASR-10 ???
This NOT an HxC Floppy emulator problem, but an ASR 10 general problem : Just find someone who use a floppy disk with the ASR 10 to import wav file !

Ensoniq-ASR

Post by Ensoniq-ASR »

Hi Jeff,

I'm not sure, but is the forum only for problems related to the emulator itself ... or can it also be used to discuss and share with some other Ensoniq users using it ??? If not I'm sorry and this post can be deleted :oops:

BTW as a workaround I'm just recording a sample of my wav file ... then I'm saving it to the HFE file, it's probably not the fastest way but it works well :)

Western

Post by Western »

Ensoniq-ASR, I have ASR-10 synth and more than 10 years ago I wrote .wav files to floppies for it, but I forgot which software I used (it was program for DOS). Now there are a lot of professional sound libraries (I have two ASR CD-s and a lot of floppies). Also it's possible to use format converters to use sounds from other samplers. But this theme is not for this forum.

Ensoniq-ASR

Post by Ensoniq-ASR »

Thank you Western ... yes based on the last comment from Jeff it's what I was thinking about ... I've to find another place to discuss pure ASR-10 related subjects :oops:

Really I don't want to disturb ... but by any chance would you have an email adress ... so I can discuss a little bit with you on about the ASR-10 ??? The tool for Dos is logically EPSDisk ... but I was not really able to do anything with it so far (I tried to format a floppy with it, copy some EFE files to it ... in a second time dump this floppy and export it to a HFE ... but my ASR-10 didn't recognized it ... so I'm not really sure what I did wrong)

Western

Post by Western »

No problem:

Antuan

Post by Antuan »

Hello.

I am with the same problem. It would be great if you could handle the .efa files delivering Chycken Translator of way that may create disk images ensoniq from them.

Western, the last picture you put is not seen, is a mystery to me whether it is the solution ...

A greeting.