Ensoniq EPS Classic - Need some help

HxC Floppy Emulator Ensoniq Keyboards/Samplers support
iheartbeets

Ensoniq EPS Classic - Need some help

Post by iheartbeets »

So I told a friend about my great success fitting the HXC Revision F into my SP1200. Fortunately for me, there was a quick install disk image in .hfe format with the OS and blank floppy images. I am attempting to do the same thing with his EPS but am really not sure how. I tried all methods but there is no one clear and concise way to go about this. Does anyone have the OS, config, and a blank disk in hfe format? Not too sure on jumper settings either.

Any help is greatly appreciated. I just ordered a 3rd HXC to install into my MPC 3K as well.

Thanks,
Dustin

Jeff
Site Admin

Re: Ensoniq EPS Classic - Need some help

Post by Jeff »

You have just to convert EDE image with the HxC software.

Anyway EPS quick install disk images added ! :
https://hxc2001.com/download/floppy_driv ... Images.zip

iheartbeets

Post by iheartbeets »

Thanks Jeff! How about jumper settings? I have tried a variety and the machine either displays "OS not on disk" or "Please insert disk". Original drive is a Sony MFD-63W-00D

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

iheartbeets wrote:Thanks Jeff! How about jumper settings? I have tried a variety and the machine either displays "OS not on disk" or "Please insert disk". Original drive is a Sony MFD-63W-00D
Should be ID0-A. Try to reverse the floppy cable connection (colored wire at the other side.)

iheartbeets

Post by iheartbeets »

Okay, I used the quick install disk images and could not get the machine to work. I booted from the floppy. I then formatted one of your blank images with the EPS, I then used the machine to copy the OS to the virtual formatted disk. Works flawlessly now. I'm not sure if my OS version was the problem or not. I have factory OS disks ver 2.2. Not 1.3 like were in the quick install. I will email these to you so that you can add them to the archive.

Thanks yet again for your fast response.

Dustin :D

serpentbrew

Post by serpentbrew »

Like Dustin, (until I put a freakin floppy drive back into my PC), The multitude of O.S. that are listed and -I am an idiot, but the instructions told me to install all of them along with the virtual blanks. That makes no sense. Anyone want to explain this? Formatted my SDHC and am starting OVER, after the firmware update (I'm broke, got the slim model.) I'm sure I can find a useable floppy drive and just start dumping Disks, but . Any suggestions or SPECIFIC INSTRUCTIONS FOR DUMMIES would be greatly appreciated. I mostly use the old EPS because I love the action...Usually hook it to outboard sound modules. If this works I am gettin one for my ASR 10. Hold your enthusiasm and post SPECIFIC STEP BY STEP cos baby boots up, but doesnt know what she is and asks for disks...and we all know without the OS booting up like FIRST, that's all she wrote.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Have you read the user manual ?
https://hxc2001.com/download/floppy_driv ... al_ENG.pdf

To help you just unpack this to the root of the sdcard :

https://hxc2001.com/download/floppy_driv ... limHxC.zip

serpentbrew

Post by serpentbrew »

Thanks for the quick reply, yes I read the manual, btw..((I did mention I am an idiot)

So, wiped the SDHC card, unpacked/, installed your zip file. Still nothing, so I did the unthinkable and flipped the ribbon. Now it says "Drive not responding"
Ideas?
Thanks for your time.
Jim

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

serpentbrew wrote:Thanks for the quick reply, yes I read the manual, btw..((I did mention I am an idiot)

So, wiped the SDHC card, unpacked/, installed your zip file. Still nothing, so I did the unthinkable and flipped the ribbon. Now it says "Drive not responding"
Ideas?
Thanks for your time.
Jim
Still nothing ? I hope that you have unpacked the files to the root of the SD ?

serpentbrew

Post by serpentbrew »

THANKS! It bloody works!!!! It went round and round for a bit saying there was no O.S. then it apparently found it, loaded like it was 1988 again and said "No Instruments". (Gee Jeff, ya coulda slipped me a nice piano or something! LOL) :lol:
So I can't thank you enough, and I probably will be gettin one for the ASR-10 as well now. On my way to post feedback on Ebay so your 100% stays where it is. Deservedly so with after-sale help like you have provided.
Cheers!
Jim

serpentbrew

Re: Ensoniq EPS Classic, Slim Emulator,Need some MORE help!

Post by serpentbrew »

Hey Jeff.
You have been quite patient with me, you answer me promptly and I want to thank you for the zipped files you posted "to get me started". That act of kindness finally (ever so simply) made the Slim Emulator BOOT UP and WORK with the EPS!! UNFORTUNATELY, before I got to put any instruments or anything useful on the SDHC 32gig card, the EPS got powered off. I haven't had any luck getting it to boot up since.
I then wiped and formatted the SDHC card and tried installing the latest firmware upgrade. (Like it COULDn't HURT, right?) YET Every time I try, (I follow the instructions to the letter) I get the same "error code blinks":-6 times i believe means "corrupt file"? So I format, unpack a DIFFERENT copy of the .UPD file, HAVE EVEN DEFRAGGED the damned thing, (as you suggest.)
Same results every time!! I should have left the Firmware upgrade alone, but as i said I couldn't get it to boot any more with the files you were kind enough to post for me that WORKED previously. I felt I had to try SOMETHING.
When I go to the forum page and download them again, i look and I don't see the EPS operating Systems in the list, only Floppy Disk images. Where did those files go? I have them still, but I am guessing since the FIRMWARE insists that it is corrupt, nothing is going to happen until that issue is resolved, right?
BTW--Does it matter if I use my XP PC or my Windows 7 PC? Tried them both, (not at the same time).... just wondering.
I am looking for anything that might be messing this up. Have checked and reseated all cables, checked fuses, etc...(.in the EPS)....It's maddening to see it boot up for the first time since the Drive died, and I checked to see if that was all that was wrong by taking the Floopy drive out of my ASR-10 and it worked fine using that. So no problems in that sector.

JEFF! WOULD You PLEASE post a file like you did that got me started AND a clean tested FIRMWARE upgrade?? I've had it!!!! The last UPD I tried to unzip to the card SAID it was corrupt while it was still in WinZip on the PC! DESPITE THAT I am going to use a brand new SDHC card next time to make sure nothing goes wrong in case the card (despite checking it for errors, etc..) might be bad. I know it's too late to return the Floppy emulator, but if it doesnt work MAYBE IT's the problem and needs exchanged?

THANKS FOR YOUR ALWAYS PROMPT attention. THANKS FOR YOUR HELP in advance. (and of course Happy Holidays to you and yours!)

Best wishes, laughter and love to you,

Serpent Brew a.k.a
Jim in Kansas City, MO

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

The files :
Jeff wrote:Have you read the user manual ?
https://hxc2001.com/download/floppy_driv ... al_ENG.pdf

To help you just unpack this to the root of the sdcard :

https://hxc2001.com/download/floppy_driv ... limHxC.zip
Why do you want update the firmware ?

Anyway the firmware :
https://hxc2001.com/download/floppy_driv ... rmware.zip
The procedure :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XUwg-7sDY4

The download page :
https://hxc2001.com/floppy_drive_emulat ... l#download

AndyW.

Post by AndyW. »

Hi,

I Do not wann to Start a New thread. I hope this will be OK. Is it possible to Flash a 1.44mb Gotek drive width hxc Firmware in order to Use it for an EPS Classic?
What are the Alternativities for compatible floppy drive emulators?

Thanks for an advices...

Andreas

mondo1976

Post by mondo1976 »

AndyW. wrote:I Do not wann to Start a New thread. I hope this will be OK. Is it possible to Flash a 1.44mb Gotek drive width hxc Firmware in order to Use it for an EPS Classic?
Yes.

HxC or HxC/Gotek is the only thing supported here and the most popular and affordable option for Ensoniq equipment. Alternatives may include a couple outliers but nothing worth considering (in my opinion). Goteks with stock firmware will absolutely not work with an EPS Classic.