Various OS [emaxos.emx] Versions

HxC Floppy Emulator E-mu Emax support
mondo1976

Various OS [emaxos.emx] Versions

Post by mondo1976 »

Is there some specific code (such as a CRC whitelist) within the HxC conversion software that checks if a given emaxos.emx file is supposedly valid?

I ask because I have an OS version that boots perfectly on my machine, whether that's from floppy or HFE. The trick is that the HFE has to be created from an image taken straight from a floppy with that OS on it. If I use that same OS (emaxos.emx) file and put it in the EM1 folder before batch converting then the Emax freezes with a blank screen while booting from that HFE.

The process in general works because I can take an emaxos.emx that was supplied by Jeff on the forum and the batch converter generates HFE files which boot properly, yet it seems as if the HxC conversion only works properly with some OS versions and not with others. This seems very strange to me, as you'd think it'd just blindly take any 260KB file named emaxos.emx and copy it into the HFE.

It's not really a "problem" as I can simply make HFEs from floppy rips, or use the working emaxos.emx, but it'd certainly be more convenient if I could use batch converter with any emaxos.emx version of my choice.

Edit: If anyone else is running into this problem, the easy workaround is to use EMXP to convert the EM1 files to EM1FD files which lets you copy any OS you want along with the conversion.

In other words, select all your EM1 files and choose to convert them to Emax floppy images. EMXP will let you choose from whatever *.emx OS files are in your "OS" folder for EMXP, and then you'll be left with EM1FD files which merge the EM1 and OS file together.

Then use the batch convert in the HxC software to select the folder containing all your EM1FD files. Check "Treat input as RAW files" and pick [Emax 3.5" DD] from the "Predefined Disk Layout" drop-down menu. Output to the folder of your choice.

That's it. It's quicker in practice than it sounds, and it works perfectly.

Jeff
Site Admin

Re: Various OS [emaxos.emx] Versions

Post by Jeff »

If you can supply all the files (emx + created hfe), i will check them.

mondo1976

Post by mondo1976 »

Great.

I've included a universally working emaxos.emx and the non-batch-compatible emaxos.emx in question, along with HFEs showing that it's possible to boot with the non-batch-compatible OS when manually created (via floppy image / RAW method).

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B44NKm ... sp=sharing

ChinMuzik

Post by ChinMuzik »

Hi,

I downloaded all the libraries from R-Massive in .Hfe format. My Emax is running the standard OS but I need to upgrade it to the SE OS. What would be the simplest way to do this?

Thanks for any help in advance!

mondo1976

Post by mondo1976 »

I have a feeling you mean you have a non-upgraded Emax and you're trying to upgrade it to be an Emax SE, right? That is an entirely different thing than loading a different OS disk.

ChinMuzik

Post by ChinMuzik »

mondo1976 wrote:I have a feeling you mean you have a non-upgraded Emax and you're trying to upgrade it to be an Emax SE, right? That is an entirely different thing than loading a different OS disk.
Correct...Basically, looking to load all the libraries which were ripped with the SE OS 1.1 onto my SD. If I understand correctly, the Emax has to be upgraded?

mondo1976

Post by mondo1976 »

You know where you got all the HFEs? The SE upgrade disk image is right there along with them, has PDF instructions and everything.

ChinMuzik

Post by ChinMuzik »

mondo1976 wrote:You know where you got all the HFEs? The SE upgrade disk image is right there along with them, has PDF instructions and everything.
Hey, thanks. Was easier than I expected.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

fyi EM1 Loader fixed/adjusted :

https://hxc2001.com/download/floppy_driv ... t_beta.zip

the batch conversion should work fine.

btw have you noticed that the only difference between the two emx os is the version code ? (compared with an hex editor).

mondo1976

Post by mondo1976 »

Jeff wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:50 pm
fyi EM1 Loader fixed/adjusted :

https://hxc2001.com/download/floppy_driv ... t_beta.zip

the batch conversion should work fine.

btw have you noticed that the only difference between the two emx os is the version code ? (compared with an hex editor).
Great! Thank you! This, combined with the new Gotek updates, makes the Emax very easy to work with.

Yes, it's a version hack to make it compatible with another piece of software that is otherwise compatible with the OS code.