EmaxII makes noise with HXC & does not boot the OS. HELP PLS

HxC Floppy Emulator E-mu Emax support
Motomix

EmaxII makes noise with HXC & does not boot the OS. HELP PLS

Post by Motomix »

Hi everyone,
I recently had the chance to install a HXC Rev F on my eMax II keyboard and I have the following issues!

1 - My Hxc emulator 'somehow' draws too much current from the power supply causing the AZ830-2C-5DSE relay on the main PCB board making an odd buzzing noise for a few second when the unit turns on and the LCD turns a bit darker (low contrast) which make it hard to read. I have to turn the unit on & off a few times to by pass the noise however the LCD still remains dark. When I install the original floppy drive on to the unit, everything is normal! No noise and LCD’s contrast is Ok.

2 - I can't manage to boot my eMax II. Hxc shows files such as 'EM2' but no emaxos. I think I don't have the right OS file. I've already went through the user manual and forums but have no luck so far!
I'm using Mac. I have access to a PC but it doesn't have a floppy drive!

I really appreciate if someone could give me some advise!
Cheers,
//Moe

mondo1976

Re: EmaxII makes noise with HXC & does not boot the OS. HELP

Post by mondo1976 »

Having to power cycle the Emax II to get rid of buzzing should be an indication you should leave it off until you know and can fix the problem. Sounds like you might be on your way to doing something like accidentally frying your floppy controller or something.

I'd probably recap the power supply (or test for ripple) then test the voltages, especially the +5V. If they're off then switch out the regulators. Of course, making sure you have the floppy cable plugged in the correct way is essential.

Something to that effect.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Can you post a picture of your connections ?

Motomix

Post by Motomix »

mondo1976 wrote:Having to power cycle the Emax II to get rid of buzzing should be an indication you should leave it off until you know and can fix the problem. Sounds like you might be on your way to doing something like accidentally frying your floppy controller or something.

I'd probably recap the power supply (or test for ripple) then test the voltages, especially the +5V. If they're off then switch out the regulators. Of course, making sure you have the floppy cable plugged in the correct way is essential.

Ripple test for switched-mode power supply !!!!? The voltages are seem Ok. The connections are correct. As I said before the eMaxII is totally fine with its original floppy drive! I've already ordered all the PSU caps from element14.

Motomix

Post by Motomix »

Jeff wrote:Can you post a picture of your connections ?

mondo1976

Post by mondo1976 »

Motomix wrote:Ripple test for switched-mode power supply !!!!? The voltages are seem Ok. The connections are correct. As I said before the eMaxII is totally fine with its original floppy drive! I've already ordered all the PSU caps from element14.
All I can tell you is that I've had an Emax with a Gotek that would fry USB drives even though the original floppy drive worked perfectly. Different devices can have different sensitivity to power issues. In my case, everything worked perfectly after rebuilding the PSU.

Take from that what you will.

Motomix

Post by Motomix »

mondo1976 wrote:
Motomix wrote:Ripple test for switched-mode power supply !!!!? The voltages are seem Ok. The connections are correct. As I said before the eMaxII is totally fine with its original floppy drive! I've already ordered all the PSU caps from element14.
All I can tell you is that I've had an Emax with a Gotek that would fry USB drives even though the original floppy drive worked perfectly. Different devices can have different sensitivity to power issues. In my case, everything worked perfectly after rebuilding the PSU.

Take from that what you will.

Recapped the PSU and power cycled the eMax a few times and seems to be working fine.
No weird noise from the Relay however the LCD still stays dark with HxC Installed.
The LCD is totally fine with the original floppy driver.
Please find the attached photos

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Please put some pictures of your connections to the HxC.
I am almost sure that you are feeding it with +12V....

Motomix

Post by Motomix »

There is only one way to connect the connector to the HxC!
The +12v is connecting to the 'unused pin' according to the HxC schematic.

The voltage across the floppy drive's power cable has been +5 before/ and after recapping the PSU.
I'm almost sure that the HxC draws too much current from the PSU which cause the LCD dims. Again the LCD is totally fine with the original floppy drive!

Apart from the LCD issue which is annoying still I haven't managed to boot from HxC. I think I don't have the right OS and related files. I've already tried a few ones from different sources but no luck so far.

It would be great if someone could send me the files. I really appreciate this. btw I only have access to Mac.

Cheers,
Attachments
FullSizeRender.jpg
FullSizeRender.jpg (150.23 KiB) Viewed 11043 times

Motomix

Post by Motomix »

mondo1976 wrote:Having to power cycle the Emax II to get rid of buzzing should be an indication you should leave it off until you know and can fix the problem. Sounds like you might be on your way to doing something like accidentally frying your floppy controller or something.

Attachments
1.jpg
1.jpg (54.07 KiB) Viewed 11029 times

Motomix

Post by Motomix »

Motomix wrote:

Motomix

Post by Motomix »

Motomix wrote:

Attachments
IMG_4856.jpg
IMG_4856.jpg (49.91 KiB) Viewed 11016 times

Motomix

Post by Motomix »

Motomix wrote:Hi everyone,
I recently had the chance to install a HXC Rev F on my eMax II keyboard and I have the following issues!

1 - My Hxc emulator 'somehow' draws too much current from the power supply causing the AZ830-2C-5DSE relay on the main PCB board making an odd buzzing noise for a few second when the unit turns on and the LCD turns a bit darker (low contrast) which make it hard to read. I have to turn the unit on & off a few times to by pass the noise however the LCD still remains dark. When I install the original floppy drive on to the unit, everything is normal! No noise and LCD’s contrast is Ok.

2 - I can't manage to boot my eMax II. Hxc shows files such as 'EM2' but no emaxos. I think I don't have the right OS file. I've already went through the user manual and forums but have no luck so far!
I'm using Mac. I have access to a PC but it doesn't have a floppy drive!

I really appreciate if someone could give me some advise!
Cheers,
//Moe

Motomix

Post by Motomix »

Jeff wrote:Please put some pictures of your connections to the HxC.
I am almost sure that you are feeding it with +12V....

Hi Jeff, Did you get a chance to see the photo of the connection? Thanks

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

What is the voltage on this yellow wire ? please measure it.