Emax HD SE Problems

HxC Floppy Emulator E-mu Emax support
who

Emax HD SE Problems

Post by who »

I'm having the following problems with my new Emax HD SE (model 2001, no SCSI drive installed) install:

1. The only OS that works is the one provided in the "Quickinstall" package. When I attempt to use one of the OS versions on the Yahoo Emax site or the EMXP site, the Emax "locks-up" with a blank screen or gibberish on the screen.

2. When using the OS provided in the "Quickinstall" package I can load, but cannot save. When I try, I get a disk error message.

3. I cannot upgrade the firmware. When I power cycle the Emax with the left and right buttons pushed, the HXC screen shows solid black boxes across the top row and the "Preset Definition" and "Analog Processing" LEDs on the Emax light up.

As I mentioned above, the Emax is a SCSI enabled model, but I do not have anything connected to the internal SCSI and my unit does not have an external connector.

who

Re: Emax HD SE Problems

Post by who »

I did some additional reasearch and found this YouTube video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XUwg-7sDY4

Apparently, it is normal for the HXC to display black boxes while updating the firmware. However, the firmware still wasn't updating. Fortunately, the video includes a key that explains what each blinking code means. Mine was blinking 4 times which indicates the update file cannot be found. I reformatted the card, copied the update file to the SD card and now I can save banks, but only with the OS supplied in the "quickinstall" ZIP.

I tried using the 10_16_89 OS and I was able to load a couple of banks, then when I tried to save, the emax reported "different OS" or something similar, then I couldn't load any banks created with the OS again. I suspect this is an Emax issue rather than an HXC issue and will try to get help elsewhere.

Thanks!

rollingdjs

Post by rollingdjs »

who wrote:I'm having the following problems with my new Emax HD SE (model 2001, no SCSI drive installed) install:

1. The only OS that works is the one provided in the "Quickinstall" package. When I attempt to use one of the OS versions on the Yahoo Emax site or the EMXP site, the Emax "locks-up" with a blank screen or gibberish on the screen.

2. When using the OS provided in the "Quickinstall" package I can load, but cannot save. When I try, I get a disk error message.
I've noticed the Emax HD only boots with run of the mill software revision 3.2. None of the HD os seemed to work, But the normal one packed into the em1 conversion would work on my HD. Sadly, I've also been getting the same disk error message on save and would love to know what's doing it.

who

Post by who »

Here's how I got around the problem: I had a bunch of disks from the previous owner. Some of those had the latest OS including the HD/SE components. If I remember correctly, I saved a bank from the floppy to the "HD" then disconnected the floppy, connected the HxC while the emax was powered-up and saved the bank to the HxC. I use it as my basis for additional banks. I can't say for sure, but I think the root of the problem lies with the copy protection used for the SE software.

who

Post by who »

I finally got around to replacing my display with an OLED, and while I was in the machine, decided to reconfigure the scsi2sd interface for more than 1 device. After doing so, I ran into the same "disk error" when saving banks on the HxC. In the process of creating the new config, I switched to the Emax Plus 10_16_89 OS. I believe there is an incompatibility with this OS because after switching to the Emax Plus 1.0 OS, the disk error seems to have gone away. (fingers crossed)