SP1200 intermittent disk error

HxC Floppy Emulator E-mu SP1200 support
sounddefects

SP1200 intermittent disk error

Post by sounddefects »

I'm using an external sd emulator with my sp1200 connected with the original floppy cable. When the sp is powered on, it gives the "insert floppy disk" message and then if I select a disk on the emulator it reads "disk read error". If you wait a few seconds and select a different disk, it will load eventually. Once the disk is mounted it will load and save without an issue.

I've tried to find a pattern to this, but it seems random. I've tried three different sd cards thinking it could be caused by bad sectors. These are the settings on the emulator:

Generic Shugart
Auto unchecked
Device standby 153s
Load last loaded floppy unchecked
Disable disk drive selector checked
everything else unchecked

Jumper on ID0

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Jeff
Site Admin

Re: SP1200 intermittent disk error

Post by Jeff »

sounddefects wrote:I'm using an external sd emulator with my sp1200 connected with the original floppy cable. When the sp is powered on, it gives the "insert floppy disk" message and then if I select a disk on the emulator it reads "disk read error". If you wait a few seconds and select a different disk, it will load eventually. Once the disk is mounted it will load and save without an issue.

I've tried to find a pattern to this, but it seems random. I've tried three different sd cards thinking it could be caused by bad sectors. These are the settings on the emulator:

Generic Shugart
Auto unchecked
Device standby 153s
Load last loaded floppy unchecked
Disable disk drive selector checked
everything else unchecked

Jumper on ID0

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.
Did you got this error only at power up or every time you select a new image ?

sounddefects

Post by sounddefects »

Jeff, thanks for doing such a great job designing and supporting this. It's really a great project!

It seems that the trouble only happens at power up. Once the first image is successfully loaded, I can switch between images without any problem and load/save any image on the card. Thanks.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

sounddefects wrote:Jeff, thanks for doing such a great job designing and supporting this. It's really a great project!

It seems that the trouble only happens at power up. Once the first image is successfully loaded, I can switch between images without any problem and load/save any image on the card. Thanks.
In this case this an know issue. There are something at power that the sp1200 doesn't like.
Since i don't have the sp1200, i cannot check this right now.

sounddefects

Post by sounddefects »

Thanks Jeff! It really is a minor inconvenience compared to using floppies for all these years.