SP1200 with external cased HxC Floppy Drive Emulator

HxC Floppy Emulator E-mu SP1200 support
pistasmash

Re: SP1200 with external cased HxC Floppy Drive Emulator

Post by pistasmash »

i got that floppy cable, but.... where should i cut?

12bitski

Post by 12bitski »

Hi,

you got a switch that was described earlier? find the graphic on side 2 .

it´s line 10 you´ll need to cut on 2 points.

find line 10 when you count from the red line (line 1)

it´s easy. you´ll need to do the cuts between the plugs. between the first and the second plug, and another between the second and the third.

then it´s important, how you connect the lines to the switch. line 10 comming from the first plug (connected to the mainboard) needs to be connected to the middle pin of the switch.

then you´ll need to connect the lines that lead to the second and the third plug to the other pins of the switch.

that´s it.

check out the graphic on side 2 . you´ll get it.

Mix-club

Post by Mix-club »

hello dudes !
Nice work and great ideas !
12 Bitski : could you confirm the needs to install both drives on the SP ?
another power cable to parallel power both drives right ?
and a 3 plug floppy cable to connect the floppy and the HXC but you cut the line 10 ?
but what about the switch ?
cannot find one like you show in your picture .
Do you always solder in cables for contact ?
thank you
Best
G

12bitski

Post by 12bitski »

Mix-club wrote:hello dudes !
Nice work and great ideas !
12 Bitski : could you confirm the needs to install both drives on the SP ?
another power cable to parallel power both drives right ?
and a 3 plug floppy cable to connect the floppy and the HXC but you cut the line 10 ?
but what about the switch ?
cannot find one like you show in your picture .
Do you always solder in cables for contact ?
thank you
Best
G
There´s no general need to install both drives to the SP. It depends on what you want to do.

If you WANT to use both drives, the parallel cable with the switch is an option to be able to use floppydisks and the hxc drive. You need the switch to choose which drive you want to use.
E.g. , if you want to copy your floppydisks to hxc images, it´s an option to install both drives.

A friend of mine installed a version F hxc drive instead of the floppydrive, connected the discribed cables and used the floppydrive externaly beside the sp just to copy his library to hxc images. That´s also an option.
As soon he finished his copysession, he disconnected the external floppydrive and put the original cables back into the sp and never used the floppydrive again ;)

You can also find someone with a kryoflux hardware (works with pc an mac) to covert your floppydisk library to emu images. then you can convert them to hxc (.hfe) images. If you plan to use only HXC in the future on your SP, this is the easiest option, as you just have to exchange your floppydrive to HXC. (But you need the kryoflux hardware)

About the powercables: Yes, you´ll need to power both drives parallel with a parallel powercable.

About the switch: You´ll need to cut line 10 and connect this to the switch (see grafik before) . This line contains the adresssignal (e.g. ID 00, ID 01 etc.) . The switch directs the adress-signal to ether floppydrive or hxc. This signal tells the drives, that the SP is "talking" to them. If one of the drives doesn´t get this adress signal, it doesn´t react. That´s the reason you can switch between them drives.

About the switch: Check out the grafik . You should get a switch like that at a electronic store like conrad etc. . The format and the look is not important. But you need one with 1 input and 2 outputs.

"Do you always solder in cables for contact ?"
I don´t get this question.

If you´re not into electronics at all, leave your hands off this mod and ask someone, who understands and can build this.

If you just want to exchange your floppy to a HXC drive, it´s much easier. I think, everybody can do this.

Some of my SP workshop students never used floppydisks on the SP. They started right away with the HXC drive. So they never needed the parallel solution ;)

As I said, it depends on what you need and where you want to go.

Nowadays I would say: Exchange your floppydrive to a HXC F drive and find someone to convert your Floppydisks to HFE format.

58Beats Studio could do this service for a little charge. They have the kryoflux hardware and also a SP 1200 with both drives installed.

You can put a request at "Studio@58beats.com". They are based in Munich, Germany.

No need to buy cables, switches or kryoflux. Just send your floppies you want to convert and they send you the hfe images.

:)

Mix-club

Post by Mix-club »

Thank you for your detailed reply.i think you are a skilled person to help me :

In fact i want to switch to the HXC because floppies are low and sometimes Data are corrupted even if i always back up each disk.
I think the HXc is the best options for saving and loading files.

I want to convert all my floppies (around 100) to the SD card but also keeping a floppy option to copy disks for friends without having to reopen again the SP and put the floppy drive back.
Is the Kryolux could copy SP disks or only convert the files? Because it could be a good option.
If it does not copy, i Will have to make that mod , i m not a pro électronician but i managed to save an SP by switching sliders.
My question about soldering in is about the switch to the floppy cable : How do you connect the switch to both Line 10 of the floppy and HXC ?
And you need a floppy cable with two plugs right? One for the HXC , and one for the floppy and the other Hand connected to the SP?

Thank you for your help

12bitski

Post by 12bitski »

Mix-club wrote:Thank you for your detailed reply.i think you are a skilled person to help me :

In fact i want to switch to the HXC because floppies are low and sometimes Data are corrupted even if i always back up each disk.
I think the HXc is the best options for saving and loading files.

I want to convert all my floppies (around 100) to the SD card but also keeping a floppy option to copy disks for friends without having to reopen again the SP and put the floppy drive back.
Is the Kryolux could copy SP disks or only convert the files? Because it could be a good option.
If it does not copy, i Will have to make that mod , i m not a pro électronician but i managed to save an SP by switching sliders.
My question about soldering in is about the switch to the floppy cable : How do you connect the switch to both Line 10 of the floppy and HXC ?
And you need a floppy cable with two plugs right? One for the HXC , and one for the floppy and the other Hand connected to the SP?

Thank you for your help
Kryoflux: As I know, you can 'only' read the floppydisks and save the images to your computer (Emu 2 format :) ) . You can't write Emu floppydisks.
Please people correct me if I'm wrong.

About cutting and soldering line 10: I'll try to post some photos of this action to make it more understandable.
Shure you'll need to solder. You'll need to lenghten the cut lines and connect it to the switch. The connections have to be soldered and should also be isolated by isolation tape.
For you I recommend the same a friend of mine did:
Install a ref F version of hxc instead of the floppydrive and put the floppydrive beside your Sp everytime you need to copy or read a floppy from a friend.

The parallel floppycable is a floppycable with one connection plug for the floppyoutputslot of the Sp 1200 and two output plugs for two floppydrives to connect to.

Mix-club

Post by Mix-club »

Hello 12Bitski
I finally collected all materials and made the mod.
Everything works but I think I have a jumper issue:

The HXC boot and load perfectly but when I switch to the floppy disk, the green light blink ( as well as the small r d light in front of the HXC...????) but i can't load anything.
The screen says "disk not formatted" but the floppy contains sounds and sequences.

I tried different configurations ,with the switch and cables : no success.
But i noticed the jumper 1 on the HXC was on so i placed it like the all 7 others and then the floppy is working correctly.
But now I can not load from the HXC if I dont touch the jumper 1.

Do you have an idea to solve this problem ?

Also, if the switch is in the middle position, the HXC react to load/ save command from the SP, is this normal?
I think its just a jumper configuration but maybe a cable wiring?
What do you think?

12bitski

Post by 12bitski »

Mix-club wrote:Hello 12Bitski
I finally collected all materials and made the mod.
Everything works but I think I have a jumper issue:
Sounds great man! Hopefully, I can help you here. We´ll see.

I think it´s no jumper issue. I think you use the wrong wire/line and the switch is not optimal (or not right connected). My tip here is to read the topic from the beginning again to get the logic behind the mod. . I got some tips from other users too, that helped me to understand the logic, how all this adress-signal-stuff works. If you once get it, it´s pretty easy. It took me a bit as well to get it.
I think your main problem is in the wiring. Also a problem with the switch. First check out if you use the right wire (line 10) of the floppycable. Normaly wire 1 (line 1) is the coloured wire. Count from there to wire 10. You can also take a look onto the floppycableoutput-slot on the mainboard to oriantate. There should be a "1" written for wire1/line1 on one end of the slot. It should be on the same side, where the cable is coloured. If not, the cable might be connected the wrong direction.
Mix-club wrote: The HXC boot and load perfectly but when I switch to the floppy disk, the green light blink ( as well as the small r d light in front of the HXC...????) but i can't load anything.
The screen says "disk not formatted" but the floppy contains sounds and sequences.
Looks like the wiring from the hxc is ok, when the switch stands on position 1. But I think it´s actually not really the right wire ;) . Again, it looks like you use the wrong wire that has another function than the adress-signal. The switch I use btw. has only TWO positions. The adress-signal (The SP1200 ONLY COMMUNICATES to ID00) that comes from the SP 1200 is connected to the input of the switch. This signal must be lead to the HXC OR floppy. At switch-position 1 the signal is lead to switch-output 1 (=>HXC) OR (switch-positon 2) to switch-output 2 (=>Floppydrive). There´s no MIDDLE position of the switch on the mod we want to build here ;) . The adress-signal of the SP must be lead to the HXC OR floppydrive. Not to both or none of them.
Mix-club wrote: I tried different configurations ,with the switch and cables : no success.
But i noticed the jumper 1 on the HXC was on so i placed it like the all 7 others and then the floppy is working correctly.
But now I can not load from the HXC if I dont touch the jumper 1.
Leave all Jumpers adressed to ID00. Once again. Try to get the logic behind all that. Then you will do easier to get the issue yourself ;)
The jumper of the HXC must be always set to ID00. Same with the Floppydrive ID00 (It´s logicaly already set to ID00, otherwise your drive had never worked ;) ) . It´s the switch that does the job. It leads the adress-signal to the HXC OR the floppydrive. That has nothing to do with the jumpersettings. The adress-signal makes the drives reacting if it arrives ;) . If one of the drives doesn´t receive the adress-signal, the drive doesn´t react. That´s the trick here.
Mix-club wrote: Do you have an idea to solve this problem ?

Also, if the switch is in the middle position, the HXC react to load/ save command from the SP, is this normal?
I think its just a jumper configuration but maybe a cable wiring?
What do you think?[
OK, first Check out the wires (wire/line 10). Second check out the connection of the wire 10 to the switch (I think, you can use the switch you got, but with 3 positions you got to find the right connections) .
Use a voltmeter to check the signalway of your switch to connect the wires correctly :)

Check out the sketch I uploaded on site 2. It´s not perfect, I know, but I think you´ll get it now.

Could you upload some photos?

You can also send me a PM. Maybe better to send your cables over and I do the modification for you?
Last edited by 12bitski on Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mix-club

Post by Mix-club »

Thank you for your reply, well I think I understood the processs of this mod: I rode the whole thread while I was queueing at Disneyland with my kids so i rode all posts about 10 times!
Maybe more times later on....

I think the wiring for the HXC from the switch is good because the HXC responds and load files.
Does it makes a difference if the HXC is after the floppy drive on the floppy cable?
The line to cut, number 10 is the 10th line including the red line or the 10th wire AFTER the red line?

I don't know about my switch, I wanted a 2 positions one with 3 pin, ordered it from Conrad, but when it arrives I realised there were 3 positions.

About the jumpers: I cant find the jumpers on the SP floppydrive, just wanted to make sure it was on 00.
Well I think so because it's the original floppy, the SP was never opened before.
In the HXC, there are only 8 numbers , from 1 to 8 , the jumper 1 was in a different position than the others.
Shall I leave it like that or put all jumpers in the same position?
Sorry many questions but I spent so much time on it, I want to succeed now!

Will try to post some photos soon
Thank you

12bitski

Post by 12bitski »

Mix-club wrote:Thank you for your reply, well I think I understood the processs of this mod: I read the whole thread while I was queueing at Disneyland with my kids so i read all posts about 10 times!
Maybe more times later on....
I did some editings to the last post and underlined and corrected some parts. Please read the last one again :)
Mix-club wrote: I think the wiring for the HXC from the switch is good because the HXC responds and load files.
Yes it does respond, but.... I bet it´s not the right wire. If it was, the drive connected to wire 10 wouldn´t respond, not more. The error message comes up because (with help of the switch) you cut off a signal of another wire than wire 10. (You´ll need to find the describtion of the floppycables to find out, what kind of data is lead through the lines. I think, there´s a link here in the forum. Also you´ll find it in the specs of the Floppydrive)
Mix-club wrote: Does it make a difference if the HXC is after the floppy drive on the floppy cable?
The line to cut, number 10 is the 10th line including the red line or the 10th wire AFTER the red line?
The drives are not set in a row, they´re set parallel.
As I wrote, wire 1 is coloured. ergo, the next wire can´t be wire 1, it must be wire 2 and so on..
I need to see pics to tell you more about your wiring.
Mix-club wrote: I don't know about my switch, I wanted a 2 positions one with 3 pin, ordered it from Conrad, but when it arrived I realised there were 3 positions.

About the jumpers: I cant find the jumpers on the SP floppydrive, just wanted to make sure it was on 00.
Well I think so because it's the original floppy, the SP was never opened before.
In the HXC, there are only 8 numbers , from 1 to 8 , the jumper 1 was in a different position than the others.
Shall I leave it like that or put all jumpers in the same position?
Sorry many questions but I spent so much time on it, I want to succeed now!
Once again. sLeave the jumpers on ID00 on both drive. This is important. Otherwise, it won´t work.
I think, You think to complicate ;)
Mix-club wrote: Will try to post some photos soon
Thank you
Yes, please!

Mix-club

Post by Mix-club »

Here are some details and the line I cut.
I checked again, seems to be line 10?
Attachments
IMG_2255.JPG
IMG_2255.JPG (84.95 KiB) Viewed 9429 times

Mix-club

Post by Mix-club »

Here you can see the switch and the 3 wires, I removed the tape to be more clear
Attachments
IMG_2256.JPG
IMG_2256.JPG (112.23 KiB) Viewed 9429 times

Mix-club

Post by Mix-club »

I think I find the issue:
Between the 2nd and the 3 rdv plug on the floppy cable, the second part of the cable is inverted :
So from the second plug it's line 10 and on the 3rd one it became line 16!

Mix-club

Post by Mix-club »

Which wire do I need to cut and connect to the switch? Line 10 after the second plug which become line 16 on the 3rd one or the opposite one ?
Attachments
IMG_2258.JPG
IMG_2258.JPG (70.44 KiB) Viewed 9429 times

Mix-club

Post by Mix-club »

I received a notification of your answer but I can not see it...??????