SP1200 with external cased HxC Floppy Drive Emulator

HxC Floppy Emulator E-mu SP1200 support
12bitski

Re: SP1200 with external cased HxC Floppy Drive Emulator

Post by 12bitski »

Here´s the Video. I load up sounds from the floppy, then I switch to the HxC and then back to the floppy drive.

Et la voilà

http://youtu.be/AVfzvnjUlyw

Thanks to the creators of the HxC unit and the software and all the helpful infos and files. :)

I´ll post a Mod with an external HxC in a case soon.
Last edited by 12bitski on Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

5c4r7

Post by 5c4r7 »

Rad! Nice mode dude. I'm too afraid to cut my sampler cases to retrofit the HXC so, I've been trying to mod the actual HXC itself. I like what you've done though. Great work!

12bitski

Post by 12bitski »

5c4r7 wrote:Rad! Nice mode dude. I'm too afraid to cut my sampler cases to retrofit the HXC so, I've been trying to mod the actual HXC itself. I like what you've done though. Great work!
To be honest. I can´t recommend the MOD I did with cutting the body. I really had to think about it for a minute, while I was watching my SP standing there. And then I made "the" decision ;)
I felt the payne of little SP, when I cut holes in there :(.

But now it´s ok ;) . it´s really good, as i don´t have to connect something. no parts outside, no cables hanging around....

But to someone, who plans to get a HxC, I´d recommend the cased version. It´s really compact and saved from outer influences and you can use it for other units too. (MPC 60, S950 ....)

For me, the HxC really is the best, what ever could happen to me as a SP 1200 user.
Last edited by 12bitski on Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

12bitski

Post by 12bitski »

Here´s what I did to my S950 . I modified the serial port to use with a SCSI cable and build in a switch to address the drives.

I´d recommend to do the same with the SP 1200 if you want to use both drives. Wiring is not that hard to do.

You don´t need to cut the body on top, like I did on mine, but, you will need to put a port to the back of the SP . You will also need a switch to select between the internal floppy and the external HxC. And then you need to wire up the adapter from SCSI cable to the ribbon plug (easy) .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYXwhYYvA2g

If you just want to exchange your drive to the HxC, I´d recommend to wait for the new version, jeff announced. :)

nutjob

Post by nutjob »

Working here (revision F internal). Thanks for your help 12bitski!

12bitski

Post by 12bitski »

Hi, I´m back.

First of all. Big up to Jeff for the new firmware and software for the HxC. It´s working much better with the SP1200 than before. But even before it was really great. It´s just even better now :) .
And: It remembers the last HFE disk, that was "inserted" before you switch off you SP, like in "real" floppy life, when you leave the disk in the drive. That´s really helpful :)

This time I come up with my second SP 1200, that is one of the Final Edition from 1998. I want to connect the external version of the HxC to this like brand new machine.

This time I won´t build in switches or do any modding of the case. Because I already work with the HxC on my older SP and can use the internal floppydrive there, there´s no need for me to mod the case of the limited last edition I got.

This entry is a reconmendation for all of you who have a external HxC already and won´t use the Diskdrive anymore and just use the HxC in the future, but want to keep the Sp1200 in the original shape.
This solution to connect the HxC requires, that you got your virtual HFE disks on your SD Card already. Everybody else needs to read the HxC manual first.
This mod will need about 10-20 min to make the HxC work with the SP1200.

This is what you need:
- the external HxC in the box and a prepared SD card.
- a longer floppy cable than the original one.

that´s it
(Check out the Fotos and the 6 steps to connect the external HxC)
Attachments
7-SwitchOnAndLoadItUp.JPG
7-SwitchOnAndLoadItUp.JPG (91.52 KiB) Viewed 18069 times
Last edited by 12bitski on Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.

12bitski

Post by 12bitski »

Step 1 : Open up your Sp1200 and carefully remove the original floppycable (on both sides, the SP PCB and the floppydrive´s side) and the powersupply cable (just from the floppy diskdrive side).
Step 2: Exchange the original floppy cable through a longer one.
Step 3: Fold the floppy cable to get a 90 degree angle and lead it to the back of the SP (The coloured cable must be on the right side) . Also lead the powersupply cable to the back of the SP.

If you fear a damage of the powersupply cable (because it´s sqeezed a little bit the way i lead it) , exchange it through another one. In this case, you can lead it through the slits in the back and don´t squeeze the cable.
Attachments
Open up the SP1200
Open up the SP1200
1-RemoveOriginalFloppyCable1.JPG (154.69 KiB) Viewed 18069 times
Exchange the original floppy cable to another longer one.
Exchange the original floppy cable to another longer one.
2-ExchangeFloppyCable.JPG (152.15 KiB) Viewed 18069 times
Fold floppy cable and lead it to the back of the SP1200. Coloured cable must be on the right side. The same with the Powersupply for the HxC.
Fold floppy cable and lead it to the back of the SP1200. Coloured cable must be on the right side. The same with the Powersupply for the HxC.
3-FoldFloppyCable.JPG (162.32 KiB) Viewed 18069 times
Last edited by 12bitski on Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

12bitski

Post by 12bitski »

Step 4: Reconnect the connections of the SP´s top to the main PCB and put the it back in place where it supposed to be.

Be carefull here with the cables. Leave the screw in the middle of the back OFF/EMPTY to have a little gap/space for the cables. You can screw in the screws on the right and the left side of the back. For everybody who fears injuring the powercable of the floppydrive.... you can also lead it through one of the air slitts in the back. You will need to cut the floppycable and solder it back together, as the plugs doesn´t fit through the slits. Or if you´re a smartass, you will be able to remove the pins from the Powerplug, put the cable through the slits and reconnect the pins the same way, they where connected before to the plug. (DONT MIX THE CABLES!) . (if i find time, i will show an example)

Step 5: Connect the floppy cable to the external HxC box. Connect the powersupply to the HxC.

Step 6: Switch on your SP1200 and load up your prepared HFE files.

To give your external HxC FDE a better hold, put some flat self adhesive rubberpads on the button of the HxC unit. That way it doesn´t slide arround.

Ok, I hope, this little recommendation helps a little bit. It´s the easiest way to connect the external HxC to the Sp1200.

Best,
12B
Attachments
4-PutTheTopBackInPlace.JPG
4-PutTheTopBackInPlace.JPG (134.89 KiB) Viewed 18069 times
5-ConnectHxC.JPG
5-ConnectHxC.JPG (155.69 KiB) Viewed 18069 times
6-ConnectionBack.JPG
6-ConnectionBack.JPG (118.92 KiB) Viewed 18069 times

12bitski

SP1200 with external cased HxC and Floppydrive with ID switc

Post by 12bitski »

Hey Sp1200 fiends,

I hooked up a little switch to the last wiring. Also I built a splitcable that leads to both drives (you will find floppycables for two drives in stores also)
That way , you can use both drives, the internal Floppydrive and the external HxC Cardreader.

You need to cut line 10 of the floppycable on the right spots and connect a little switch. Then you can select the drives.

you will need to split the powercable as well.

here´s a little sketch about the wiring.

the ID line coming from the SP Floppyport leads to the mid pin of the switch. the other pins of the switch lead to the diverent drives. pretty easy.

here´s a link to a little video I made of how it works.

http://youtu.be/8YkAjl3421s

of course you can also install the switch e.g. in the back of the sp. i did not as i don´t want to change the case of my 2nd sp1200.

what you can also do is to install a little port. I found 13 pin din plugs in a store, what I will try out and let you know, how they work. (I will post pics about it soon)

This is really for people, who want to use both , the HxC Floppy Emulator and the internal Floppydrive. That way you can load up your floppydisks and save it to the virtual SP 1200 floppys on the SD card.

The very good thing on that Mod is, that you can easily build the SP back to it´s original state without a scratch, as you don´t need to cut holes into the case.
Attachments
Sp1200-HxC-Floppydrive-wtSwitch1.jpg
Sp1200-HxC-Floppydrive-wtSwitch1.jpg (32.94 KiB) Viewed 18064 times

12bitski

Post by 12bitski »

Ok, this is my final Version of the SP1200 with an external HxC including the switch to select between the original internal Floppydrive and the external Floppy Emulator.

All wires lead through the heater slits now. (No holes drilled or any other case modding. Everything here is only wires modded)

I used Din 13 Plugs to connect the floppycable to the HxC . You can use any other connectors/ports/plugs . Main important: You will need 12 wires of the floppycable.
Here´s the configuration of the floppyconnection.

http://pinouts.ru/Storage/InternalDisk_pinout.shtml

Here´s the plug I used:

http://pinouts.ru/connector/_3_pin_kenw ... ctor.shtml

Find the connection layout (Floppycable to Din 13) below. I did not connect wire 1 of the floppycable (ground) . It works without. If you think, you will need it, you can connect it to pin 13 of the plug.

To fix the external HxC to the SP on top, I put on some Velcro. The same with the Switch. It´s attached on the right side of the HxC Box.

Some tips just to be sure: Please don´t use the original cables from your machine for the mod. Take them out and keep them in a save place.

:)
Attachments
FinalSP1200-extHxC-Switch.JPG
FinalSP1200-extHxC-Switch.JPG (97.23 KiB) Viewed 18059 times
Din13Con.JPG
Din13Con.JPG (101.1 KiB) Viewed 18059 times
Sp1200-FloppyCable-Din13.jpg
Sp1200-FloppyCable-Din13.jpg (25.88 KiB) Viewed 18059 times

12bitski

Post by 12bitski »

For those who just want to build in the HxC Rev F and wonder how to get their Floppydisk-library onto SD-card without a PC . Here´s a recommended solution.

Build splitcables similar to the ones in the post before. (Split-Floppy-data-cable and the split-powercable to connect both drives at the same time) . You won´t need the round Din Plugs. Just the cables with the switch installed.
Just leave your SP1200 a little bit open for the copysession (leave the screws off) and you can lead the second cables (data and powercord) through the upper back of the SP (where the screws are on the back) . Important is the ID-switch to choose between the Floppydrive and the HxC Floppy-emulator.

Connect both the HxC (e.g. rev F) and the Floppydrive. Switch on your SP 1200. Load up your Floppydisks, switch to the HxC and save to a prepared diskimage (with the same filename as the name of the floppydisk)
That´s it.

At the end of your copysession, deinstall the provisional cables and reinstall the original cables with only the HxC installed instead of the Floppydrive. There you go with your Floppylibrary ready to load up from a SD card.

peace,
Last edited by 12bitski on Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tylerdurdon

Post by Tylerdurdon »

hello :D
i've just received my rev f in case, and i don't know if it's correct for the power supply, i doubt...because of the position of the red wire
i give you a picture
Attachments
IMG_0480ok.jpg
IMG_0480ok.jpg (210.77 KiB) Viewed 18044 times

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

do you a voltmeter to check this ?

12bitski

Post by 12bitski »

if the floppydrive worked this way, it should work with the HxC as well the same way. all 3.5 floppydrives work the same as i know. 12V on the right pin powercon, 5V on the left.

it looks a bit like the powerconnection is not really connected to the HxC . try to push it in some more. it´s a bit stiff sometimes to get the plug onto the HxC powercon.

pistasmash

Re: SP1200 with external cased HxC and Floppydrive with ID s

Post by pistasmash »

12bitski wrote:Hey Sp1200 fiends,

I hooked up a little switch to the last wiring. Also I built a splitcable that leads to both drives (you will find floppycables for two drives in stores also)
That way , you can use both drives, the internal Floppydrive and the external HxC Cardreader.

You need to cut line 10 of the floppycable on the right spots and connect a little switch. Then you can select the drives.

you will need to split the powercable as well.

here´s a little sketch about the wiring.

the ID line coming from the SP Floppyport leads to the mid pin of the switch. the other pins of the switch lead to the diverent drives. pretty easy.

here´s a link to a little video I made of how it works.

http://youtu.be/8YkAjl3421s

of course you can also install the switch e.g. in the back of the sp. i did not as i don´t want to change the case of my 2nd sp1200.

what you can also do is to install a little port. I found 13 pin din plugs in a store, what I will try out and let you know, how they work. (I will post pics about it soon)

This is really for people, who want to use both , the HxC Floppy Emulator and the internal Floppydrive. That way you can load up your floppydisks and save it to the virtual SP 1200 floppys on the SD card.

The very good thing on that Mod is, that you can easily build the SP back to it´s original state without a scratch, as you don´t need to cut holes into the case.
can you please gimme a simple photo (for someone who does not understand graphics, and put a simple picture of how to cut the cord?)