Read/VerifyError and Start-Up problems

HxC Floppy Emulator E-mu SP1200 support
FWDE

Read/VerifyError and Start-Up problems

Post by FWDE »

Hi, most of the time my (grey) SP1200 stays in 'Loading Software' mode and very often it says 'Insert Diskette'

when I does start-up I keep gettin a 'Read/VerifyError' on the display of my SP1200 when I want to save sounds or sequences to the SD card

the SD is brand new and it's 2GB

any ideas what could be the problem? thanks!

Jeff
Site Admin

Re: Read/VerifyError and Start-Up problems

Post by Jeff »

I really need more details : Which emulator are you using ? connection ? jumper/switch setting ? a picture ?

anyway try the lastest firmware version :

https://hxc2001.com/download/floppy_driv ... rmware.zip

Video procedure :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XUwg-7sDY4

FWDE

Post by FWDE »

Hi Jeff thanks for your answer!

I've updated the firmware and it seams to work now :)

I've recorded some samples and sequences in for instance Empty_Disk_097.hfe but noticed I can't start up again with the Empty_Disk_097.hfe

so I have to use the SP1200_OS12.hfe or one of the Emu_SP1200_Disks (BongoFury.hfe - Congas.hfe - KyodaiRock.hfe - etc etc) to get started again. After that I can load one of the Emty_Disk_###.hfe files again with my recorded samples and sequences. Is that standard?

FWDE

Post by FWDE »

(not show on picture but jumper settings 1 & 4)

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

FWDE wrote:Hi Jeff thanks for your answer!

I've updated the firmware and it seams to work now :)

I've recorded some samples and sequences in for instance Empty_Disk_097.hfe but noticed I can't start up again with the Empty_Disk_097.hfe

so I have to use the SP1200_OS12.hfe or one of the Emu_SP1200_Disks (BongoFury.hfe - Congas.hfe - KyodaiRock.hfe - etc etc) to get started again. After that I can load one of the Emty_Disk_###.hfe files again with my recorded samples and sequences. Is that standard?
When did you get the emulator ? This was from Lotharek ? Did you know what was the firmware version used ?

About the Emty_Disk_###.hfe files : did you use the ones present into the SP1200 archive ?

FWDE

Post by FWDE »

I got the (un-used) emulator from a friend and I think he bought/ordered it about a year ago (jan/2013?) online at LOTHAREK/Poland.

I forgot what firmware version it was but first thing that pops up in my head is 1.3 or 1.7 I believe..

the Emty_Disk_###.hfe files I use are the ones from the SP1200 archive (from the download archive).

So for now I choose the SP1200_OS12.hfe on the Emulator before shutting down otherwise I have to start up twice (because it wont start up in any of the last used Emty_Disk_###.hfe files)

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

FWDE wrote: So for now I choose the SP1200_OS12.hfe on the Emulator before shutting down otherwise I have to start up twice (because it wont start up in any of the last used Emty_Disk_###.hfe files)
the Emty_Disk_###.hfe files doesn't have the operating system, so this is normal if you can't boot from them.
in fact you should copy and rename SP1200_OS12.hfe to Emty_Disk_000.hfe,Emty_Disk_001.hfe,Emty_Disk_002.hfe,Emty_Disk_003.hfe... if you want to boot from your sound files.

FWDE

Post by FWDE »

Im gonna check it out!

thanks and keep up the good work!

r4ar

Post by r4ar »

The first time that you save your project on a floppy image, you need to do Disk -> 9 (Format/Copy Software).
When the SP1200 formats (says "Formatting") your disk, it automatically saves the entire memory to disk as well as saving the OS to it. i.e. it is now bootable.
After it's done formatting, that's it. You don't have to then "Copy Software" because it already does it when formatting.

Next time you load up that disk, you can just save your Sequences and/or Sounds and the OS will remain on the image, allowing it to remain bootable.

Say Again

Post by Say Again »

Just a quick note to say thank you for this thread. It helped me figure out my problem I was having after installing my reader in my SP1200. Quite happy now.

I have a drive installed in both my MPC60 and (now) SP1200. I love the product. I look forward to getting my Emax hooked up next.

FWDE

Post by FWDE »

Hi, I wanted to use my SP1200 again after two months but this time the card-reader keeps on saying: "Reading-FAT..._"

I've made (and saved) some tracks and songs with this 2gb SD card before and was new when I bought it. Didnt gave me any problems until now..

What could be the issue?

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

FWDE wrote:Hi, I wanted to use my SP1200 again after two months but this time the card-reader keeps on saying: "Reading-FAT..._"

I've made (and saved) some tracks and songs with this 2gb SD card before and was new when I bought it. Didnt gave me any problems until now..

What could be the issue?
According to the pictures, your hxc emulator seems quite old and probably need a firmware update :
just try to update it :

FWDE

Post by FWDE »

thanks!

Do I need another SD-card to update?

And can I still use my previous saved projects on the SD-card that won't load?

(ps: the latest firmware I used was from your posted link on: Thu Apr 24, 2014)

Jeff wrote:
FWDE wrote:Hi, I wanted to use my SP1200 again after two months but this time the card-reader keeps on saying: "Reading-FAT..._"

What could be the issue?
According to the pictures, your hxc emulator seems quite old and probably need a firmware update :
just try to update it :

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

FWDE wrote:thanks!

You can use the same sd, but you must back your files before. Think to regenerate or take a new CFG file too (don't use the old one present on your sd).

FWDE

Post by FWDE »

Excuse me for my ignorance (I'm no technician) but how can I back-up the files on the SD-card that doesn't load: because my MAC can't read it (have to format it again).

Do you think if I create a new SD-card with latest firmware and load it in my SP1200 that I can switch to the old SD-card (without turning of the SP1200) to load and back-up my previous tracks on the new SD? Or will I have the same loading issues again?

Jeff wrote:
FWDE wrote:thanks!

You can use the same sd, but you must back your files before. Think to regenerate or take a new CFG file too (don't use the old one present on your sd).