Naming/renaming hfe images?

HxC Floppy Emulator E-mu SP1200 support
r4ar

Naming/renaming hfe images?

Post by r4ar »

When I rename the images on my SD card with my computer and then put the card in my HxC, the HxC can see the names fine.

When I rename the hfe files from within the HxC my computer does not see the names but instead still see's the old names!

Very strange, because my HxC can see the new names but my computer will only see the old names, before I changed them.

Any fix coming?
and how is this possible?

I use a mbp with Mavericks.

Jeff
Site Admin

Re: Naming/renaming hfe images?

Post by Jeff »

This is normal : The HxC doesn't alter the file system name. This is the HFE internal name that is changed.

r4ar

Post by r4ar »

Oh ok.
Cheers.
Well this could become very confusing then.
I already have 14 .hfe images that are named in the HxC but only show as 11empty.hfe, 12empty.hfe, 13empty.hfe, etc, etc still in my computer.
Hmmm.

I guess the answer is to never use the HxC to name any images, write down the corresponding filename and HxC name on paper/textedit, then change the name inside the computer at the end of each session... so the same project/image name shows up the same in both the HxC and the computer.

rmri

Post by rmri »

Well this might be "normal" as in how it was designed, but I consider this a really annoying user experience issue.
You have to always remember which image files you already used and which ones are still empty, either in your head or take notes.

Is it really that big of a development effort to reflect the names in the filename as well? It would make a world of difference in everyday use.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

This feature need alter the file system file entry. You need to support FAT long name and short name, need to reallocate entry. This can be trouble some and any bug can be catastrophic (file system damaged, data loss...)