! Preordering of the SDCard HxC Floppy Emulator !

General information and announcements - please read it first before posting.
Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

John79 wrote:
Jeff wrote:I done several tests, and yes what you said is true, but did you done the test while writing to the sdcard ? because the power cossumption increase when you wrote to the sdcard. i mesure some peak currents of 270mA.
This can vary with the sdcard model.
Hi again Jeff,

thanks for all your replies. Hmm, I am only talking about the Amstrad CPC here. I did all the current consumption tests with the SD card connected on an Amstrad CPC. Is there write support for the Amstrad CPC? I mean, I tried save"test" in basic and it did not create a 1kb file called test.bas on the SD card selected disk file. What do you mean by "writing to the SD card"?
This is not normal, you should be able to write on the floppy on CPC. what is your firmware version ?

John79

Post by John79 »

Jeff wrote:
John79 wrote:
Jeff wrote:I done several tests, and yes what you said is true, but did you done the test while writing to the sdcard ? because the power cossumption increase when you wrote to the sdcard. i mesure some peak currents of 270mA.
Hi again Jeff,

thanks for all your replies. Hmm, I am only talking about the Amstrad CPC here. I did all the current consumption tests with the SD card connected on an Amstrad CPC. Is there write support for the Amstrad CPC? I mean, I tried save"test" in basic and it did not create a 1kb file called test.bas on the SD card selected disk file. What do you mean by "writing to the SD card"?
This is not normal, you should be able to write on the floppy on CPC. what is your firmware version ?
The one programmed by Lotharek. I haven't updated it. When I turn on the SD card I can see a version number 1.0.0.0b if I am not mistaken (it is shown very quickly). Maybe I am doing something wrong... Do I need to create an empty disk image on the SD card? I am trying to save a dummy file on an already converted game disk image...

edit: when I do save"test" the SD card is trying to write the file, does a weird noise and then returns a ready prompt. But the file has not been created. Also, I monitored the current consumption during the writing operation and it is still around 170mA... something is wrong...
Last edited by John79 on Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

John79 wrote:
Jeff wrote:
John79 wrote: Hi again Jeff,

The one programmed by Lotharek. I haven't updated it. When I turn on the SD card I can see a version number 1.0.0.0b if I am not mistaken (it is shown very quickly). Maybe I am doing something wrong... Do I need to create an empty disk image on the SD card? I am trying to save a dummy file on an already converted game disk image...
ok, this is an old and buggy version. you need to update it :

https://hxc2001.com/floppy_drive_emulat ... _1_0_1.zip

Update procedure :
///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
//-------------------------------------------------------------------------------//
//-------------------------------------------------------------------------------//
//-----------H----H--X----X-----CCCCC----22222----0000-----0000------11----------//
//----------H----H----X-X-----C--------------2---0----0---0----0--1--1-----------//
//---------HHHHHH-----X------C----------22222---0----0---0----0-----1------------//
//--------H----H----X--X----C----------2-------0----0---0----0-----1-------------//
//-------H----H---X-----X---CCCCC-----222222----0000-----0000----1111------------//
//----------------------------------------------------- http://hxc2001.free.fr --//
///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

SDCard HxC Floppy Emulator Update procedure :

-> Copy the new firmware file (*.upd) to a freshly formated FAT32 SDCard.
-> Insert the SDCard into the emulator
-> Press Up and Down buttons before power up and keep it pressed at least 1 seconds at power up.
-> Wait some seconds .... its done !

Note 1:
The file must be unfragmented on the sdcard and must be in the first part of the root directory. For these reasons it is recommended to use a freshly formatted FAT32 SDCard, otherwise you may get the error 4 or 6 (see note 2).

Note 2:
Bootstrap LED error messages:
Error 1 : (blink 1 time and 2 seconds pause cycle) No entry point (->no software flashed)
Error 2 : (blink 2 time and 2 seconds pause cycle) SDCard init error.
Error 3 : (blink 3 time and 2 seconds pause cycle) FAT error.
Error 4 : (blink 4 time and 2 seconds pause cycle) UPD File not found!
Error 5 : (blink 5 time and 2 seconds pause cycle) Bad UPD File header! (bad file)
Error 6 : (blink 6 time and 2 seconds pause cycle) Bad data crc! (file corrupt)
Error 7 : (blink 7 time and 2 seconds pause cycle) Bad data size!
Error 8 : (blink 8 time and 2 seconds pause cycle) Write error (Pic flash error)

Jeff / HxC2001

John79

Post by John79 »

Jeff wrote:
John79 wrote:
Hi again Jeff,

o.k. it works with the updated firmware, thanks Jeff!

Current consumption is still no higher than ~170mA even during the writing operation :D

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

John79 wrote: o.k. it works with the updated firmware, thanks Jeff!

Current consumption is still no higher than ~170mA even during the writing operation :D
Did you copy a big file to make this test ? because to be able to mesure you need some time.

Some SDCard need at least 200mA while writing so :
~70mA for the UC + 100mA for the LCD backlight + 200mA for the SDCard = 370mA
So when you do the math a 400mA power supply is needed...

EDIT: In fact this is worst :
http://www.embeddedrelated.com/usenet/e ... 2554-1.php
I recently looked into this and found the spec allows an SDHC card to draw
up to 200 mA. Although, we've found measured some high speed SDHC cards
draw up to 450 mA.

John79

Post by John79 »

Jeff wrote:
John79 wrote: o.k. it works with the updated firmware, thanks Jeff!

Did you copy a big file to make this test ? because to be able to mesure you need some time.

Some SDCard need at least 200mA while writing so :
~70mA for the UC + 100mA for the LCD backlight + 200mA for the SDCard = 370mA
So when you do the math a 400mA power supply is needed...

EDIT: In fact this is worst :
http://www.embeddedrelated.com/usenet/e ... 2554-1.php
I recently looked into this and found the spec allows an SDHC card to draw
up to 200 mA. Although, we've found measured some high speed SDHC cards
draw up to 450 mA.
Jeff,

as I said before, all the tests I have done were using the SD card on an Amstrad CPC 6128 with an SD 2GB. I think I have tested it thoroughly and I never saw a current consumption larger than 170mA. Do you think different type of cards will draw more current then? For example an SDHC?

o.k. I will do more writing tests and I will report back. But so far we have to assume that the worst case current is 170mA because this is what I have seen with my own eyes :D

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

John79 wrote: as I said before, all the tests I have done were using the SD card on an Amstrad CPC 6128 with an SD 2GB. I think I have tested it thoroughly and I never saw a current consumption larger than 170mA. Do you think different type of cards will draw more current then? For example an SDHC?

o.k. I will do more writing tests and I will report back. But so far we have to assume that the worst case current is 170mA because this is what I have seen with my own eyes :D

Sorry but my eyes saw 270mA and not 170mA... and this not a surprise for me since SD Card can draw up to 200mA. Add the lcd and board current, there are 300mA.

So the power supply MUST be able to deliver at least 300mA. Under of this, nothing is guaranteed.

And indeed the SDCard consumption depend of the type/brand/speed used...

Look at this one for example:

http://www.transcendusa.com/support/dlc ... USDHC6.pdf
Current Consumption
The current consumption is measured by averaging over 1 second.
‧ Before first command: Maximum 15 mA
‧ During initialization: Maximum 100 mA
‧ Operation in Default Mode: Maximum 100 mA
‧ Operation in High Speed Mode: Maximum 200 mA
‧ Operation with other functions: Maximum 500 mA.

John79

Post by John79 »

Jeff wrote:Sorry but my eyes saw 270mA and not 170mA... and this not a surprise for me since SD Card can draw up to 200mA. Add the lcd and board current, there are 300mA.

So the power supply MUST be able to deliver at least 300mA. Under of this, nothing is guaranteed.
You are right. Of course the SD type will affect current consumption. When you saw the 270mA, was that with an SDHC 32GB card?

If we assume that an SD card supports high speed mode can this mode be exploited by your SD HxC emulator? Or it always uses say the default mode?

Edit: I did some more tests using an SD 2GB card. I used discology to erase and copy single files of average size (around 30kB each) to and from the SD card. Current consumption was around 170mA BUT for a split of a second I could sometimes see a current around 200mA. This was very occasional though and for a very short time.

I am not saying that 270mA is not possible or that you are lying or anything. I am just trying to reproduce this current consumption on the CPC. Anyway, it doesn't really matter. I will try using an SDHC 32GB card. See if current consumption will be any different.

By the way, copying and erasing single files on the SD card works fine. However, when I tried doing a fast format with discology on the SD dsk, the format completed successfully but the files were still on the SD card dsk after format. Maybe a firmware bug?

sixty_cel

Post by sixty_cel »

Hi Jeff

Sorry for something to make misstake :lol: .

Do you know about PC 9801?

It is japanese computer series PC 98.

Next time I shall shown some differrent from PC compattible to you.

In signal -- disk read

It's has signal --windows too.

The Model of this PC98 is NEC --FD1137D

I think I have some order from you if you can make your product to

compatible to this PC.98 because some supplier can generate them.

FDD NEC FD1157D
NEC製FD1157D/FD1155D(FD1137D/FD1135Dもそうだと思う) VFO付

表記無きものはGND
2 HIGH/NORMAL DENSITY
3 WINDOW
4 HEAD LOAD
6 DRIVE SELECT3
8 INDEX
10 DRIVE SELECT0
11 SYNC
12 DRIVE SELECT1
14 DRIVE SELECT2
16 MOTOR ON
17 DRIVE SELECTED
18 DIRECTION SELECT
20 STEP
22 WRITE DATA
24 WRITE GATE
26 TRACK 00
28 WRITE PROTECT
30 READ DATA
32 SIDE SELECT
34 READY

It's detail of the fd1137d

Floppy disk interface is uPD71065G

this is link for down load:

http://www.seekdatasheet.com/1079826/PdfDownLoad.html

Jeff

Please consider .

Make this product for me.

Best Regards,

Suksabn Jaiphate

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

sixty_cel wrote: FDD NEC FD1157D
NEC製FD1157D/FD1155D(FD1137D/FD1135Dもそうだと思う) VFO付

表記無きものはGND
2 HIGH/NORMAL DENSITY
3 WINDOW
4 HEAD LOAD
6 DRIVE SELECT3
8 INDEX
10 DRIVE SELECT0
11 SYNC
12 DRIVE SELECT1
14 DRIVE SELECT2
16 MOTOR ON
17 DRIVE SELECTED
18 DIRECTION SELECT
20 STEP
22 WRITE DATA
24 WRITE GATE
26 TRACK 00
28 WRITE PROTECT
30 READ DATA
32 SIDE SELECT
34 READY

It's detail of the fd1137d

Floppy disk interface is uPD71065G

this is link for down load:
http://www.seekdatasheet.com/1079826/PdfDownLoad.html
if the host computer don't use the WINDOW and SYNC, this should work. But if you need WINDOW and SYNC signals, this will not work because the emulator doesn't generate them.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

John79 wrote: By the way, copying and erasing single files on the SD card works fine. However, when I tried doing a fast format with discology on the SD dsk, the format completed successfully but the files were still on the SD card dsk after format. Maybe a firmware bug?
no this is ok: only "sector write" is supported by the emulator. So Format write are ignored.

If you want generate a blank floppy, use the software to do this.

John79

Post by John79 »

Jeff wrote:no this is ok: only "sector write" is supported by the emulator. So Format write are ignored.

If you want generate a blank floppy, use the software to do this.
Thanks Jeff. I will do some more testing and if I find any other problems, or have more questions I will report back.

lotharek

Post by lotharek »

POSTAGES OFFICIALY STARTS TOMORROW !

http://www.mmj.pl/~lotharek/stuff/post.pdf
..... Atari Roxxx !!!

Greg.0

Post by Greg.0 »

Great news !

I have to be patient a little bit more... when is scheduled the next postages ? ;-)

lotharek

Post by lotharek »

SHIPPING LIST HAS BEEN UPDATED
..... Atari Roxxx !!!